Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
 Quote:
Look up the word "hypocrite", Nick.
I have a better idea: you look up where the comma goes.
Incredibly insightful response there, Nick.

Great to see you are staying on point and still still relying on thoughtful, fact-based arguments to support your positions, as stated.

Here's another suggestion: think about what tactics folks often use when they've run out of real, intelligent ideas to actually say...

Quote:
Originally posted by ynghermes:
Knife,

NICE TRY!

What does 'require' mean? I don't have my Blacks legal dictionary in front of me, but I believe it means MUST, just as 'may' does.
Does your Black's Law Dictionary REALLY say that the use of the word "may" - as in, "may require" - means "must?"

Please send me the link or post an image of the page where it says that.

The word "may" means exactly what it says. May. As in "possibly."

"I may go the ball game, tonight. I'm not sure."

"I may require you to write an opinion for me."

-vs.-

I shall go to the ball game tonight. I have no choice."

"I shall require you to write an opinion for me."

?????

You don't think there's a difference???

The founding fathers had BOTH the words "may" and "shall" at their disposal. The word "shall" appears often in the Constitution - ALWAYS indicating a course of action that MUST be taken, with no exceptions. The word "may" appears ONLY when an action is elective or not entirely necessary to a process.

Have you ever ACTUALLY read or thought about the U.S. Constitution? Ever studied Constitutional history?

Frankly, it doesn't seem so.

You really should read it, and REALLY think about it - if not study it - before you go on to post these ill-advised rants about things that just aren't so.

Much more to the point, in any event:

Quote:
Originally posted by ynghermes:
Prove me wrong, show me where the prez was comander AND chief before Lincon was shot.
Followed by:

Quote:
U.S. Constitution
U.S. Constitution: Article II

Section 2.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;...
DOH!!!!

Squirm all you want around tortured attempts to redefine the word "may." The fact remains, you made a simple, direct challenge - and you were directly and simply proven wrong.

Bitter pill, I know, but don't go all Batzdorf on us about it.

Just admit you've been proven wrong and let's move on.

And FWIW, if you are inclined to keep challenging me on this stuff, I don't "look it up." I know it.

Trust me on this.