Page 5 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3746 - 05/11/04 02:52 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
Knife, there's no reason to believe that Gore had plans to invade Iraq from the beginning, that every single decision he made would have been pro-business, that he would have been totally anti-environment, that he would have pushed through the tax cuts for the rich, that he would have screwed up our standing in the world as you say...it goes on and on.
Yep. And there's also no reason to believe that Gore would have done anything BETTER.

I'm not interested in listing what we KNOW Bush has done. That's easy for all of us to point to and see. I'm more interested in your seeming to KNOW what would've happend if Gore was in office.

I respectfully suggest that you really have no better idea than any of us do. You have dashed hopes and a dream of what might have been, but that has nothing to do with reality.

Quote:
There was a HUGE difference between Gore and Bush, just as there is between Kerry and Bush.
Spoken like someone who truly can't imagine having REAL choice.

Quote:
I'm not crazy about Kerry, but he's not within light years of being as bad as Bush.
Obviously, this is a purely subjective point of opinion that is open to debate.

Quote:
And the choice you're presenting is a false choice. It wasn't between right and wrong.
Well, you're right about ONE thing. It WASN'T about right and wrong.

It IS about right and wrong.

Your referring to this concern as a past-tense event, relating only to a single election shows you don't get my point.

That's exactly what I meant when I said it shows a concern for political expediency. I'm MUCH more concerned with trying to make the system better - overall - than I am in seeing puppet No. 47 win over puppet No. 36 - this year - because puppet No. 47 just seems more warm and fuzzy, or whatever.

Quote:
It was between making a statement nobody is going to hear - i.e. voting for Nader - or voting to keep the worst administration ever the hell out of my country.
Nice that you summarily dismiss the votes for Nader as a "statement nobody is going to hear."

Even if you "know" that to be true (much as you "know" what a Gore Presidency would have brought us....), I'd ask you, Nick:

Do you think Nathan Hale only made statements he thought "someone was going to hear"?

Do you think Rosa Parks only made satements that she thought "someone was going to hear"?

Quote:
Nader had no chance to win, so why vote for him?
I'm starting to think you might not ever understand why.

*filing this under the "Polygamy hurts people but gay marriages don't" file of Nick B's. entirely unsupported proclamations.

#3747 - 05/11/04 03:42 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
anaconda Offline

Loc: Southern Left Coast
The Dahli Lama is out of the loop. You're all doomed. If Bush is more than 5% behind in August, watch out for an intentional Terrorist event in the US. Bush wants to win. They fixed 2000 and they'll be there again this year. Bush will again rescue us from the Evil Doers. Don't forget that Bush and the other Illuminati need War. Their interests are widespread in the Mideast.

#3748 - 05/11/04 04:25 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Messe, I KNOW that if you and enough misguided, naive people vote for Nader, we'll be stuck with Bush and all those hyenas for another four years - and the world may not last that long if that happens. If you really believe that Kerry is just as bad as Bush, there's nothing I can say to you. You're a fool to believe that, but according to you I have no way of knowing that.

And I'm filing this under Knife is misquoting what I said about polygamy in the end. What the hell has this got to do with polygamy?! I'm not the least bit interested in polygamy.

Anaconda is absolutely right. The perfect candidate isn't running. We have to choose from among the two that are. You're not going to change the system by voting Bush in, you're going to risk ending the world as we know it.

Bush for Ex-President in 2004. Ralph Nader, go to hell.

Knife, grow a beard and no moustache, move to Utah, and go marry ten ugly women if it'll make you happy. I couldn't care less if that's what you want to do.

#3749 - 05/11/04 04:30 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
Fieryjack Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:

Look I didn't expand on my comment because everybody knows why Bush is a Jackass. Cause he is.

Nuff said.
Justin,

Keep making prolific, unbiased statements like that, and you just might find yourself in an editorial seat at the New York Times ;\)

#3750 - 05/11/04 04:45 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
shrimp Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: the briny deep
As much as I hate to say it, I believe that Bush will be re elected by an alarmingly wide margin in November. The pitiful Democratic party isn't capable of raising enough money to combat the Bush camp, and it certainly hasn't shown the ability to present a clearly defined candidate. This country so badly needs more choices, but it just ain't gonna happen, folks.

Gone are the days of the humble, hardworking peanut farmer. Today's presidential candidate has to be a multi millionaire with the support of several other multi millionaires in order to sell a public which is more concerned with watching reruns of "Married With Children" than discussing real issues in a rational manner.

Don't expect a real public outcry about the administration's whacked out foreign policy until the draft is reinstated (which I'd be willing to bet happens within 18 months).

#3751 - 05/11/04 05:10 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
Mark Kluth Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
I don't personally care if a Democrat or Republican is President; they are all evil. All I care about is that the President NOT be of the same party as the majority in the house & senate. You cannot have proper balance if one party is so completely dominant. Nobody can stop the Republicans at the moment and they are destroying our economy and world position, with no possibility of the "other side" to intervene and stop them from doing whatever the hell they want. THAT is the problem.

#3752 - 05/11/04 05:21 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
ManFriday Offline

Loc: St. Charles, IL
 Quote:
I don't personally care if a Democrat or Republican is President; they are all evil.
I'm not sure if I would say "evil", but they certainly have sold us out. The are not even in control.

Quote:
You cannot have proper balance if one party is so completely dominant. Nobody can stop the Republicans at the moment and they are destroying our economy
Sure they can. The democrats have fillibustered plenty of stuff. And besides there are RINO's in the republican party that almost always vote democratic.
Olympia snow comes to mind.
And the republicans are not ruining the economy. the corporations are ruining the economy by sending all our friggin jobs over seas. and both parties are slaves to these huge corporations. Dont kid yourself into thinking that
the democrats are anymore "for the working class people" than the republicans are.
Nafta has done trememndous damage to american workers and that was a bush & clinton screw up.
Actauly I dont even know if you can call it a screw up.
I fully understand the reasoning behind NAFTA.. well.. at least I think I do..
But it doesnt seem to be helping us much at the moment.

Quote:
...with no possibility of the "other side" to intervene and stop them from doing whatever the hell they want. THAT is the problem.
No, the problem is that we have a two party system. Which is why the Ralph Naders and Pat Buchanans and Ross Perots of the world are a GOOD thing. The trouble is that third parties are trying to bite off more than tehy can chew when they are running for president.
They need to establish themselves more by running for local and state government before they go charging for the whitehouse.
It's like that kid who told me "I dont want to learn these drum rudiments and stuff. I just want you to teach me how to play like neil peart." ;\)

#3753 - 05/11/04 08:03 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Mark, there are Democrats, there are Republicans, and there's Bush. I don't know how you can think that it doesn't matter who's in power as long as it's balanced out between the legislature and the presidency.

John McCain is a Republican, for example, but he's an intelligent guy with his heart in the right place (although I happen to disagree with him about a lot of things). Bush is also Republican, but he's a warmongering far right religious nut who wants to roll back Roe vs. Wade, have a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, drill for oil in Alaska, give tax cuts to the rich...it goes on and on.

There are HUGE difference between politicians, even if they vote together.

Kerry comes across as a sleazy politician to me, but at least he's fairly liberal. Not as impressive or liberal as Ted Kennedy, but not a half-wit either.

But I agree that having the hyenas in charge of all three branches of the government is horrible.

The moral of the story: vote for Kerry.

#3754 - 05/11/04 09:10 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
vincoprod Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: my own private Idaho
As usual in my lifetime it is a choice between the lesser of two weasels. Kerry seems like a republican in democratic clothing to me. The lines have blurred and I do agree with Mark Kluth and some others here that there are fewer and fewer real differances between the two parties. Bottom line is special interests rule and until there is some real campaign reform in this country, nothing will change that.

#3755 - 05/11/04 11:11 PM Re: I don't mean to get political but...
jkruta Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Collinsville/St. Louis, MO USA
Debate appears to be a lost art.

Page 5 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 19 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: