Page 5 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111179 - 07/29/07 03:10 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: EWF]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
EWF, Justin, I don't want to hurt YOUR feelings but , you have got to be kidding me.

#111180 - 07/29/07 03:40 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Morten Offline

Loc: Denmark
Ill be chiming in with a mix tomorrow aswell I like this, kinda cool way of doing mixes and compare(to be able to talk about strength and weaknesses), as long as it doesnt turn into a pissing contest!

#111181 - 07/29/07 09:49 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
EWF Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
Yes, Jeremy. I was just kidding with you. Funny wasn't it? Actually it was your version that inspired me.

#111182 - 07/29/07 10:04 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
mofca Offline

Loc: Steubenville OH
Man . . .I'm going to be in Florida for a week, so I won't be able to work on this until next week. I just opened the session and gave it a quick listen.I'm planning on adding some more tracks to it. Justin, I like the tune but it is a little long. Tempo is 125 bpm, right?

#111189 - 07/29/07 01:45 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: mofca]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Mike - I think the tempo is 120 but I'll verify this when I get back to my studio. Using identify beat in ProTools you can figure out the exact tempo. Yes the song is 5 min. 24 sec. which is long - part of the challenge would be to cut it down, but of course, that's a judgement call. I'm really excited to hear what you do Mike.

Jeremy - jeeez are you this angry with your clients? Let's keep this civil if we can. I was only giving my opinion on your mix. Let's hear what other people think.

EWF - Bravo! I like your mix better than my own. You managed to clean up the harshness of the snare and made the kick and snare nice and punchy. Hmm Jeremy, I guess it IS possible to improve a stereo drum track. The mix you did sounds nice and balanced and the bass sits well. One comment would be the lead guitar - my mix has a nice dreamy delay on that guitar. Then again, panning the acoustic right and the lead left and leaving them relatively dry is nice too and gives nice presence. Overall levels seem a bit low to me. Also your MP3 was 174kbps which seems kinda non-standard to me but it's a minor point.

Say TLiX, if you're listening and you have some spare time take a crack at this. If your lovely wife would entertain re-singing the lead vox, that would be spectacular, as I wrote this song for female vocal.

#111190 - 07/29/07 02:19 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Justin, you wouldn't know a killer mix like mine if it snuck up on you and bit you on the ass.

#111191 - 07/29/07 02:54 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
But I would know how respond like an adult to constructive comments.

#111192 - 07/29/07 03:40 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Dark Star Balla Offline

Loc: Chicago Bizurbz
If you can't take critism you should not post a mix. This is not about throwing insults about each others work. It's about getting advice on what we can do to become better at our craft.
It seems to be turning into a pissing conest.

#111194 - 07/29/07 04:55 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Dark Star Balla]
sscannon Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Florida
Jeremy- Are your drums panned primarily left? The vocal seems a bit low, and the drums are buried. EWF- nice clear, punchy mix. Just what I would expect from someone of your stature.

Just my thoughts on a first listen. I guess it goes to show you how different mixes of the same song can be.

Jeremy, you sure talk a big game, but your mix is weaker than a beer piss . Your Tara Labs, clean power, HD system, etc. don't mean squat if your ears think that is a great mix. I know you can do better than that with all that gear. Pump up the drums and vocals a bit, and it will sound more like a pro mix. No offense, just my opinion.

I actually preferred, by a longshot, EWF's mix, although the guitars are panned way wide, which is cool when they both play, but leaves you leaning to one side when it is just the acoustic gtr.

But who cares what I have to say? Just another ahole with an opinion. There, I said it for you!

#111196 - 07/29/07 05:38 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: sscannon]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

I have no idea what your talking about. If you can't hear how superior my mix is over everyone elses, then you all need to go back to audio engineering school. Weaker than beer piss??? You havn't seen me take a piss after about 12 beers, it would knock you over.

As a matter of fact, I think i'll take a huge one on all yalls mixes. Is it still weak???

Page 5 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: