Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99688 - 08/04/01 12:15 PM DA-7 / Akai DR16-PRO connection and compatability..
AudioMD Offline

Hello,
I own a DA-7 as well as an Akai DR16 pro. I wish to interface both units. I was told that the ADAT 8in-16out board can be used with the Akai and the DA-7 can use 2 ADAT cards in the expansion slots. Will this work??? I have my concerns because neither the console or recorder are ADAT products. WIll there be a compatability issue??? What are other options to interface bothe units???
Thanks.
AudioMD

#99689 - 08/04/01 03:49 PM Re: DA-7 / Akai DR16-PRO connection and compatability..
maric Offline
Founding Member

AudioMD,

The ADAT cards for the DA7 should work with any ADAT compatible device regardless of which manufacture has built it. ADAT is a standard for digital audio transmittion.

The WR-ADAT will handle 8 channels of input and ouputs via the litepipe connectors at 16-24 bit-depth, 44.1-48kHz sampling rate.

When ever your trying to connect two devices digitally one needs to be determined to be the Wordclock Master at it's selected bit and sample rate and the others need to be selected as Slaves at the same bit and sampling rates.

Since W.C. sync is carried through the litepipe connections you can sync to thoose instead of dedicated 75 ohm BNC-BNC wires.

Since the DA7 can be either the W.C. Master or the W.C. Slave I don't forsee any problems.

I have a Korg Oasys connected digitally via the ADAT lightpipe connectors and it's works just fine as long as W.C. is configured correctly. If the computer that the Oasys is connected to is off the DA7 won't pass any audio without it being on and in proper W.C. sync.

Typically once it's set in your system you'll never have to set it again...but it can also get complicated in multiple device systems requiring W.C distribution to each digitally connected piece...

Have a nice (W.C.) day...and stay in sync.

#99690 - 08/05/01 06:03 AM Re: DA-7 / Akai DR16-PRO connection and compatability..
ezmony Offline

Loc: Joliet,Il 60433
Hello AudioMD,I have been using the DR16 Pro's with my DA7's.They work great together,never had a problem.I use the 8 Buss out via Litepipe,16 on return.

#99691 - 08/05/01 02:44 PM Re: DA-7 / Akai DR16-PRO connection and compatability..
AudioMD Offline

Thanks for the feedback.
Question: What would be the configuration for both devices?? One card in the DR-16PRO (8in-16out) and two cards in the DA-7 (both with 8in-8out)?? Does the DR16pro card have two seperate litepipe outputs in order to connect to the two seperate inputs on the DA-7 cards?? What do I use the xtra 8input litpipe on the DA-7 card for??
Thanks

#99692 - 08/06/01 05:25 PM Re: DA-7 / Akai DR16-PRO connection and compatability..
bbowman Offline

Loc: Abingdon, MD USA
AudioMD,

For the past year, I've been successfully using the DA7 and one single DR16pro together via the ADAT 8in-16out board and two ADAT cards in the DA7. I presently don't use the OPTICAL out on the second ADAT card in the DA7. As a matter of fact, it is unusual when I use the the ADAT out on the first card because 99% of the time I track to the DR16pro via analog preamp, direct box, and/or compressor. Anyway, I suppose you could assign BUSSES or AUXs to the ADAT outs (on the DA7 of course) and route signals to external effects processors, etc. that support ADAT input. Of course, you would probably need to return the effect signals back to the DA7. Where is up to you.

Eventually (money premitting) I plan to add the AES/EBU card in the third slot on my DA7.
I'll use it to digitally loop additional effects processors (TC M3000, Intonator, etc.) and as a digital return from my PRO PODs for "reamping" at mixdown.

BTW - to all you Akai DR16Pro owners. Do you own/use (or have you tried) the RE32? If so, please tell me what's good/no-so-good about it. I'm dying to have the advanced XFADE/TRIM and visual waveform display it provides - not to mention not having to "reach" quite so far to access the transport/control keys.

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: