OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;)

Posted by: Justin

OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 07:28 AM

http://www.noisetank.com/integrity/

Band management 101
(when I move, I slice like a f--kin hammer!)
Posted by: DP

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 07:54 AM

A friend of mine that lives out in LA sent me that clip a few months back... Hilarious what idiots some people can be. \:D
Posted by: BLAblablah

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 08:33 AM

What a great guy!
Posted by: Fieryjack

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 09:00 AM

What happened to "Put Your Head On My Shoulders"?
Posted by: mixandburn

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 10:21 AM

Ya right,

If I was in that band I'de talk everybody into changing to a whole different song at the bridge and then have everyboby flip him the bird while he was up twisting in the wind on stage since he's the only important one up there I'm sure he'd figure out a save.

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 10:24 AM

Oh ya almost forgot. Then we could all just shrug our shoulders and say" thats just the way it F####in is jerk.
Posted by: Andrew K

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 12:15 PM

wow... that was painful to listen to. I don't know where people get off talking to others like that.

What a prick.

I wonder when that was recorded?

AK
Posted by: GlennR01

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 05:49 PM

Makes me long for Buddy Rich..... \:\(
Posted by: TheHopiWay

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 06:19 PM

And the award for "Mr. Congeniality" goes too Paul Anka in a surprising upset over Chuck Berry.
Posted by: plughead

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/09/05 10:10 PM

Methinks Anka is Buddy Rich's "Love Child"!

BTW - this was way more entertaining than that Loverboy cover, tho the dude is great, and can play the lot of instruments, that song sucked 25 years ago, and that hasn't changed...

tho I bet Paul Anka's band personnel has changed numerous times thru the years ;\)

BTW - where's Joe? and who TF is he?

regards,
Posted by: mehali

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 05:40 AM

Ah, the 'ol Buddy Rich pep talk. Yes.
There is a great CD out called "Celebrities at Their Worst". It's a great collection.

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mehali:
Ah, the 'ol Buddy Rich pep talk. Yes.
There is a great CD out called "Celebrities at Their Worst". It's a great collection.
Link? ;\)
Posted by: sscannon

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 10:22 AM

It makes me wonder what led up to that discussion. It sounds like the band really screwed up, and if so, he was just pi..ed. If they are screwing up as bad as he says, they need to be chewed out. And he's right, he is the star, read the marquis. He also says he lost $20,000 on last night's show. I would be irate also. The rant may have been justified. I mean T-Shirts? They can't get THAT right?

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 11:19 AM

C'mon Sean, there's NO REASONABLE explanation for that type of outburst. Yhea he might have been justified in being piszsed, but he "piszsed" away any credibility he may have had by ranting and raving. As a manager/boss, if you have a problem with somebody you take them on the side and talk with them. If they don't respond you get rid of them and move on. A childish rant like that can have no positive effect (except maybe to make the ranter feel all puffed up). I also find it hard to fathom that he lost $20,000.00 because one guy didn't have a T-shirt or the band played bad - it just doesn't make sense. If he didn't sell enough tickets, it's probably because he sucks. The only people there are blue haired old ladies - Pauli could probably get up there and sing acapella and they wouldn't know the difference. He sounds like a bitter old A-hole whose better days have passed him by. ;\) Phwew ! Talk about a rant eh \:D

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 11:26 AM

He may have been justified in being upset and had a right to express that to his guys. However, in my opinion nobody has a right to speak to people the way way he was going on and on... He spoke quite a little about character and integrity and doing the right thing all the while dashing his on the rocks in the process. He certainly does not exude any form of leadership ability and appears to be nothing more than a talented jerk that ended up with a king size ego and his name in lights. What a waste.

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 12:21 PM

Well, point taken, but everyone did admit screwing up, and more than one guy. I mean, c'mon, how hard is it to wear the right clothes and follow the bandleader? Although I'll admit he went on and on a little too much, you don't work with these guys, so you don't know how much frustration led up to this meeting. We are hearing the end result of what was probably a closed meeting and an unauthorized recording. He is writing the checks, and he expects professionalism. If you act like an amateur, you get chewed out. It didn't seem to bother the band, they said they wouldn't screw up again. Maybe that's the only way these guys will pay attention is for him to chew the whole group out at once. Everyone certainly got the message. The next show, he probably hugged everyone, and all was well, we don't know. Also, he didn't say the band was responsible for the loss, but we know it probably was a factor in his frustration. He had hits, and he makes a helluva living, whether you like his music or not, and I would wager that there are other fans besides "Blue hairs".

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 12:47 PM

And.....let's not forget.......he is a singer. We all know how egotistical they can be. After all, the world revolves around them. I guess if I was in that band, I'd finish the tour and find another gig.

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 12:55 PM

Your points are well taken too. I hear exactly where you're coming from. I still hold the opinion that he's a jerk. A very talented and wealthy jerk. The guy was a multi-millionaire when he was 16 years old according to most accounts so there's no doubt in my mind he's just a little bit spoiled ;\)

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 03:24 PM

Casey and far, far more...

Be sure to listen to Casey first...

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/10/05 03:34 PM

Sean,

You are right about us getting in on what may have been a long string of frustrations that led to this. Too bad... Is this kind of behavior common in those circles? I am a business owner and at times get frustrated as well but would never dream of those types of belittling statements or threats. I know everybody is different but still, I believe everyone is intitled to be treated with respect and a degree of honor. I know from experience you can even fire someone for screwing up and still retain respect and dignity not only for them but for yourself as well. That was my only point. To me anyway he handled this thing very poorley at best. Then again; we all were kind of horning in on a conversation that really had nothing to do with us and truthfully is not our business in the first place. You are right as well in the observation that the band did not seem to object too badly. They are big boys and could have spoken up. So, I guess in the end it is their fault if they are willing to let this guy trounce on them like that. Either they are use to this kind of verbal abuse or they are getting paid a whole lot of dough one or the other because where I'm from someone would have been in serious trouble somewhere in there.
Posted by: Ian T

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/11/05 02:55 PM

And then don't forget the Buddy Rich bus tapes!

My favorite quote from that has always bee.... " Pay you? **** you"

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/11/05 03:12 PM

"Get off my bus and get off my band..."

Of course, you know that Buddy Rich was loved about as equally in death as in life. There is a pretty well known story about a musician who allegedly played in the Buddy Rich Orchestra that calls Buddy Rich's home shortly after his passing. The musician calls and a woman (presumably Rich's wife) answers. The musician asks for Buddy, the woman answers "I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but Buddy has passed away". The next day, the musician calls again and asks for Buddy and the woman, stricken with grief, answers "Buddy's gone, he passed away". Again, the next day, the musician calls and asks for Buddy. The woman, now angry and amazed at the insensitivity of this man, yells into the phone "I told you - Buddy's dead! Buddy's dead! Why do you call over and over again when you know Buddy's dead?!" To which, of course, the musician replies "Because I love hearing it so much."
Posted by: Nick Batzdorf

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/11/05 03:13 PM

Just so people know, the Paul Anka tape has been around since the hills on Grandma's chest.

My favorite one is Orson Welles dishing out **** about the copy he was supposed to read for an ad.

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/11/05 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
My favorite one is Orson Welles dishing out **** about the copy he was supposed to read for an ad.
"Get me a jury and show me how you can say 'In July' and I'll go down on you..." - Orson Welles

Orson Welles & His Crumb Crisp Coating
Posted by: Nick Batzdorf

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/11/05 11:23 PM

That's it!
Posted by: JohnH

Re: OT: Paul Anka - the guys get shirts... ;) - 06/11/05 11:46 PM

Re: Paul Anka...
Things were different back then.
He's obviously a prick, but it was the way he tried to teach.
I've played for a few conductors like that, and I realized that they were going for excellence in their own messed up way.
It sounds like a football coach, ****ed off after a bad game.
Big deal.
Miles said a few nasty things to his band...
so what...