Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145680 - 05/23/13 04:57 PM DA7 Still Useful?
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
I still have mine, 3 ADAT cards - but I really don't use it. I stare at it thinking of ways I might use it because I think it's stood the test of time pretty darn well. Geez guys, this board has been around since 1998. 1998! I think of Fred Jones (may he rest in peace) who was the product manager and helped design the DA7.

I was thinking about using the DA7 faders lately for HUI in Pro Tools but also thinking it might be cool to route some busses and the DA7 for metering. Looking at the Pro Tools meters just doesn't have the same coolness factor as real meters. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Oh and why not try out those DA7 preamps, compressors and eqs for old time sakes. Who knows, maybe there's something magic left in the 7!

#145687 - 05/24/13 05:54 AM Re: DA7 Still Useful? [Re: Justin]
djweb Offline

Loc: Regensburg, Germany
I sure hope it is 'cause actually I bought one s/h just yesterday over here in Germany!!

Exactly the possibilities you mention - built like a rock, HUI emulation, real meters for ProTools, 'vintage' preamps/eq/compression - have made me decide to go for this board.

I also can't wait to have audio AND midi faders together on one board which finally means good-bye to my Behringer 32-8-2 and Digidesign Command 8 consoles.

OK, there might be various other options around, both vintage and current, but in my opinion - and after testing several possible alternatives - the DA7 is still unrivaled!

Can't wait to install the console over the weekend ...

#145692 - 05/27/13 01:07 PM Re: DA7 Still Useful? [Re: djweb]
Clockwork Studios Offline

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Mine is still a big part of my setup. I use it for it's preamps, and ADAT outs into Pro Tools. I also use the SPDIF aux return to handle the DA conversion instead of my 002. I have the HUI emulation going as well, but I never ever use it anymore. Also, the talkback section, monitoring....it's a very versatile board!

#145693 - 05/27/13 05:42 PM Re: DA7 Still Useful? [Re: Clockwork Studios]
Stevehwan Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: WI
The DA7 is my main board. I use pretty much everything in it. Great board. I never hear the fan and I rarely shut the DA7 off. grin
www.stevecoxjingles.com

#145694 - 05/28/13 11:47 AM Re: DA7 Still Useful? [Re: Stevehwan]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Hmm good. I'm going to reorganize my studio a bit and start using it again. I can see many uses as well although my memory is failing as to why I bought a third ADAT card and what I would be able to do with it.

#145695 - 05/28/13 12:45 PM Re: DA7 Still Useful? [Re: Justin]
Clockwork Studios Offline

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Well, Justin, if you're looking to part ways with that 3rd ADAT card, I'm sure I can give it a great home!

#145698 - 05/29/13 08:18 AM Re: DA7 Still Useful? [Re: Clockwork Studios]
DP Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Hampton Bays NY USA
3 ADAT cards in mine...can you say 24 d i/o on lp? Oh yhea, that's why you got it confused

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: