Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13407 - 09/11/01 02:39 AM Listening back
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
I just wanted to relate a CD project to you guys I finished up January of this year.
It was a year long project involving alot of musicians hired to play parts on a world music CD for kids, although it was not a "kidie" sounding record.

My client goes around to the schools in Maryland and teaches kids about music from around the world and different cultures. He brings in all kinds of instruments from pan pipes to digeridos. He has also givin me the opportunity to record all these exotic sounds.

Over a weekend he brought in 7 kids to sing backround chorus parts on 7 songs, that was an experence!

Anyway, over the course of this project I was buying converters, mics,pre's,cables ect.
When we first started I was recording thru a DBX 586 tube pre thru the DA7 converters to later a 9098 going thru a wz96 converter. Every song was a progression of equipment.

Here it is almost a year later and i put the album on after being disconnected from it for months. What was so cool about this CD was the different sonic quality of each song really made it a very interesting listening experence. Going from a low to a high fidelity sound then to a mid level then back up was really cool. Not only were the songs very different from each other the sound was very different because of all the gear I went thru recording it.

One song was done on ACID in another studio, it was really a low fi sound ,then the next song kicked in was bigger and fatter.

Usually most albums you put on, once you hear the first song, you've heard the whole record. Just different arrangements of the same thing, and the overall sound is the same.

Looking back, I wish i would have held onto those pre's I thought wern't good enough, those mics I thought I would never use again.
It's nice to have both steller sounding and mics and pres and ok sounding gear. Live and learn I guess....

#13408 - 09/11/01 07:24 AM Re: Listening back
Pete Offline

Loc: Adrian Mi US.A.
I've learned the hard way ......... don't get rid of gear what you think is junk today may be a just what you need tommarow.

#13409 - 09/11/01 07:44 AM Re: Listening back
bcorkery Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
OK Jeremy,

Now that you've tickled the tastebuds ... how can we get a hold of this gem and enjoy it with our kids?

Sounds like great fun.

Bill Corkery

#13410 - 09/11/01 10:09 AM Re: Listening back
ynghermes Offline
Founding Member

Jeremy,

Cool, hi fi and lo fi are good things, just like loud and soft and fast and slow.I'm glad we learn every day.
H.

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: