Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91242 - 07/30/00 05:35 PM Transient Overs?
faeflora Offline

Loc: baltimore, md usa
Hi, what indicator should I go by when tracking to watch for digital overs? Frequently, the "signal present" LED on channel strips flashes red when the meter does not indicate any overs. Which one is more accurate? I don't want to have to retrack when I find out that my waveforms' transients are all clipped .

Thanks.

#91243 - 07/30/00 05:45 PM Re: Transient Overs?
Pete Offline

Loc: Adrian Mi US.A.
I have noticed alot of fluctuation as too what everything reads as an over...ADAT vs Dat Vs CDR Burner Vs Board .. Etc. I go by my ears there are times were I peak on really transient stuff (drums etc.) and it doesn't bother me or so quick It doesn't seem to clip other times it's the usual digital distorion so.. my thought is if your ears tell you it's ok it's ok.

#91244 - 07/30/00 06:26 PM Re: Transient Overs?
DougA Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
If you have not changed it, the input LED is defaulted to hit "red" at -6db. That gives quite a bit of headroom before clip on the analog side. It is adjustable to "0" if that helps to get a more accurate reading. I like to go into the solo mode and bring the digital gain to where I want it leaving the headroom where it is on the analog side. The solo metering is accurate relative to digital "0"

#91245 - 07/30/00 06:42 PM Re: Transient Overs?
faeflora Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DougA:
If you have not changed it, the input LED is defaulted to hit "red" at -6db. That gives quite a bit of headroom before clip on the analog side. It is adjustable to "0" if that helps to get a more accurate reading. I like to go into the solo mode and bring the digital gain to where I want it leaving the headroom where it is on the analog side. The solo metering is accurate relative to digital "0"

Where do I adjust the input LED sensitivity? Also, what are the differences between the two different types of meter bridge readout? I'm sorry I don't remember the names of them, I'm not at my DA7 now.

And, why should I use the digital gain instead of the analog gain and vice-versa?

Thanks for the help so far everyone .

#91246 - 07/31/00 04:11 AM Re: Transient Overs?
DougA Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
The "peak thl" adjustment is on the osc/batt page of the utility section.(software version 2.00/2.01) The meter differences are VU and PPM, the former being averaging and the latter being peak.

As for using digital gain, I like to keep my analog side running cold for the headroom factor and make up gain digitally. This is strictly a personal preference.

[This message has been edited by DougA (edited 07-31-2000).]

#91247 - 07/31/00 05:12 AM Re: Transient Overs?
Eric Seaberg Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Also make sure your meters are PEAK balistics and you're seeing it at the appropriate location in the signal path, i.e. PRE FADER, PRE EQ, POST FADER.

------------------
ERIC SEABERG • San Diego, CA
eseaberg@turningpt.org

#91248 - 07/31/00 03:30 PM Re: Transient Overs?
faeflora Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Seaberg:
Also make sure your meters are PEAK balistics and you're seeing it at the appropriate location in the signal path, i.e. PRE FADER, PRE EQ, POST FADER.

Ok, I know how to see the signal pre-fader I think; you just look at the meter bridge right? And for post fader, you solo the channel and look at the master L/R meter? I don't know how see the signal pre-eq.

Sorry if some of my questions seem a little elementary, part of the reason why is that I don't have a computer in the same building as my DA7... my computer is 40 miles away at work .

#91249 - 08/01/00 04:42 AM Re: Transient Overs?
Eric Seaberg Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Hit the METER button in the MASTER DISPLAY section (the two buttons above the AUTOMATION button). You can look at inputs 1-32, Bus/Aux or Slots, setting them to VU or PEAK and at what point, PRE EQ, PRE FADER or POST FADER.

Page 5-17 in the manual goes through it all.

------------------
ERIC SEABERG • San Diego, CA
eseaberg@turningpt.org

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: