Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85393 - 09/08/03 07:54 PM Performance drop
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
For some reason my mix down PC has become very sluggish. Mostly on internet stuff, but even the cursor in wave lab skips, have had an audio dropout out or click. Something is in there slowing everything down.

I've tryed all the usual things like defragging, deleating temp files ect. Could it be a virus, or is there something else I could check? Mark?

#85394 - 09/09/03 02:33 AM Re: Performance drop
DP Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Hampton Bays NY USA
Jeremy,
#1 - How much room do you have left on your recording/music drive ? if the drive is nearing capacity it will slow down regardless of fragmentation.
#2 - Have you checked your audio buffers ? Have they changed ? Have you tried changing them ? They shouldn't change by themselves, but drivers can do funny things sometimes..........
#3 - I find that I need to set the buffers differently in wavelab than I do in my multitrack program ( Cubase SX )...........
#4 - If you don't already have a removeable drive caddy for your harddrive get one now.......it makes changing out drive so easy........ Good Luck

#85395 - 09/09/03 05:48 AM Re: Performance drop
jkruta Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Collinsville/St. Louis, MO USA
Have you checked your system resources percentage? If you have too many applications that start up automatically, it will dramatically degrade performance. What operating system are you running? Also, make sure that none of your drives are running in msdos compatibility mode.
These can be checked in the system properties folder.

Just some simple things to check.
Jim K.

#85396 - 09/09/03 05:53 AM Re: Performance drop
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Well i'm thinking it's a good time to get another computer. This is an old PIII 450 i've had forever. I only use it for mixdown, internet, artwork ect, no multi tracking.

I havn't changed buffers in WL, it's the whole system that seems bogged down. The drive has plenty of space. I suspect it's a backround program slowing things down. Sinse 've gotton cable internet, it's like the wild west, programs get installed on my computer without me knowing it.

#85397 - 09/09/03 06:43 AM Re: Performance drop
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Whoa. I'd be very careful about letting anything get installed without your knowing it, in fact I'd make sure to turn off automatic updating (if that's what you're talking about and you're not just kidding).

#85398 - 09/09/03 08:18 AM Re: Performance drop
jkruta Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Collinsville/St. Louis, MO USA
Jeremy,
To see what is running in the background, press
"control, alt, delete" at the same time.
A drain on your system resources can happen in Win98 even if you have 512meg of ram. Win98 only allocates a fixed portion of ram to it's system resources. You can have a bunch of ram and it makes no difference.
Jim K.

#85399 - 09/09/03 10:14 AM Re: Performance drop
shrimp Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: the briny deep
Jeremy, are you sure it's not the "Return of the Dung Beetles"?

#85400 - 09/09/03 10:44 AM Re: Performance drop
Mark Kluth Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
Jeremy, seeing as how it worked fine before, something has changed to affect performance. Have you installed any new hardware or software lately? Anything? Updated any drivers?

While there's always the possibility that you picked up some spyware off a website that is eating computing cycles, these things usually don't slow down overall system performance that much. A good test of this is to boot your PC, then go right to Wavelab without launching any internet software first. If Wavelab is still hiccupping, then it can't be spyware causing it.

I would venture to guess that you installed something new lately, and the driver(s) for it are slowing everything down. If you have installed anything new, visit the manufacturer's website and download the very latest drivers.

Either way, I strongly advise everybody who uses any version of Windows to regularly visit http://www.windowsupdate.com. Hackers are finding new ways everyday of making our lives miserable, and unless you protect your computer and yourself, you're just asking for trouble.

#85401 - 09/09/03 11:46 AM Re: Performance drop
rick Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Cambria, CA USA
Using the studio computer for Internet and email access is a dangerous practice if you want the computer to be ready for a session at any time.

If your studio computer is never connected to the Internet, you a) avoid installing all the Internet programs and utilities; b) you never worry about viruses from the 'net; c) you update it when you need a new feature or bug fix, not just to install security fixes.

Computers are cheap enough that many can afford something to keep the two systems separate. If your studio computer is a vital tool, then you cannot afford to compromise it by using it as an Internet system.

Treat the studio computer as a valuable tool, and you'll think differently.

Just as a photographer doesn't bring his expensive camera to the beach for a few snapshots---because he can't risk not having the camera work properly for his job---you shouldn't treat the studio system as a general-purpose system.

If you have a Windows system hooked directly to a cable modem, chances are it's been attacked by the virus or worm du jour. Without a firewall, your system is likely open to any number of attacks.

#85402 - 09/09/03 07:29 PM Re: Performance drop
sscannon Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Florida
I have a PIII 450 Mastering/Mixdown computer also. It will work fine for 2 track stuff. Keep it far away from internet connections, back up your data and wipe the hard drive, put XP on there, reinstall your audio software, and you should be golden! That way you won't need a new computer. Also be sure to have a large audio HD, and defrag it often. Good luck....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: