Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56992 - 11/18/01 12:24 PM O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
keyplayer Offline
Veteran Member

I'm using Nuendo 1.5.3 with a DA7 desk. Both the desk & the program support Surround Sound Mixing. But in the DA7 Manual, it says that it just does the routing to the speakers and that I will need some sort of Surround Sound Processor like Dolby or the Martin Sound Multimax to do the 'PROCESSING".

So my question to those of you using Nuendo is this. IS THE NUENDO SURROUND SOUND PACKAGE COMPLETE? By that, I mean does it handle all the processing required internally? Can I just route the surround mix through my DA7, or will I have to purchase additional hardware to do a proper mix in 5.1?

#56993 - 11/18/01 01:02 PM Re: O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
envoid Offline

Loc: NYC
...That's a good question. It really is. I know you can mix 5.1 surround in Nuendo, and use the DA7 to play that mix thru the surround set-up described in the manual, if you have 4 monitors and a sub...BUT if you want to export that same 5.1 Surround mix you will need an "outboard" encoder, and I beleive you also need a DVD-RAM deck in order to capture it. Can someone else more knowledgeable than yours truly pitch in and explain the technical aspect of this procedure?? That's as far as my grasp of this goes. Sorry Key...

#56994 - 11/18/01 02:22 PM Re: O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
Mark Kluth Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, Hawaii

#56995 - 11/18/01 03:16 PM Re: O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
keyplayer Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks Mark but that doesn't really cover the question. It looks like in the Nuendo manual that it's already processed and, if that is the case, the question is will it pass through the DA7 WITHOUT THE NECCESSITY OF ADDITIONAL HARDWARE AFTER THE DA7.

My take on it is that you need the external processor if you're using, say, tape or HDR. The DA7 does the ROUTING ONLY, not the filter combing and other processing required to do a true surround mix.

As for the encoding aspect of the issue, Envoid.......
That's not an issue. Nuendo comes bundled with a built-in encoder/decoder and there are other 3rd party plug-ins that support the format already. The process of actually authoring DVD's is a whole seperate issue. You can purchase software for that from companies like Minetonka.

If you were to do a 5.1 mix for a client, you would presumably do so via Nuendo, monitor on the DA7 (with or without an external processor) and print said mix on one of your DA-88s as follows:
Track 1- Left
Track 2- Center
Track 3- Right
Track 4- Left Surround
Track 5- Right Surround
Track 6- LFE/Sub
Then you'd take it to a mastering lab and let them turn it into the DVD disk. I hope that clears up your confusion on that.

So the questions stands. Am I correct in my understanding of the manual, in that Nuendo is self-contained as far as "true" surround mix prrocessing goes and will that processed data pass through the DA7 in tact?

#56996 - 11/18/01 06:36 PM Re: O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
Q20 Offline

Loc: Mill Spring, N.C., U.S.A.
Nuendo is complete as far as mixing surround. The DA-7 is complete in its own way. You can monitor and send to DTRS from the DA-7 or from Nuendo you can create a surround file. But whatever you do you need to encode and author and that requires DVD Ram and additional hardware, although there are lots of authoring software in the make as we speak and some already released.....

later
zoe // Q20

#56997 - 11/19/01 02:43 AM Re: O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
keyplayer Offline
Veteran Member

What does "...in it's own way." mean?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I can do a "true" 5.1 mix in Nuendo, send it through the DA7 in tact and print it to 6 channels of whatever (MDM, HDR, etc) is supported by the authoring house, and they'll turn it into a DVD disk, right?

I already know about the software programs that will AUTHOR a DVD. I'm just asking about this stage of the development. I don't have to buy any hardware AFTER the DA7, correct?

#56998 - 11/19/01 06:11 AM Re: O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
maric Offline
Founding Member

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=16
...is a website devoted to Surround Sound problem solving.

#56999 - 11/19/01 06:48 AM Re: O.T.: Nuendo Surround through the DA7
keyplayer Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks.

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: