Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99475 - 02/05/00 04:53 AM Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Philippe BAUDET Offline

Loc: LUXEMBOURG
Sorry, but I'm in front of a problem:

I can't get an automix saved in Digital Performer back in the DA7.
During transfer, Da7 sometimes write somthing like "Bulk data error". The operation go through the end but result in a correct named automation, full of 0 events !

I'm calling back the starting scene ( it seem's to work ok ) and the concerned automation memorie. I'm quite new with the DA7, not very involved with midi, but when I saved the project, everything was smooth.

After reading the manual, I noticed that I have let the interval setting to 0msec during the Bulk out operation, but as long as DP record bytes, I didn't suspect...

Of course, this project have to be ready on monday, and it's a 52' memory full fader automation I would appreciate not to do again.

Looking for any suggestion !!!

EMBEA
Philippe.

#99476 - 02/10/00 06:53 PM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Dave Labrecque Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
Mon frere en despaire...

I'm having very similar troubles. I transmitted a midi bulk dump of just my 3rd automation bank from the DA7 to Cakewalk, which seemed to go fine. But I can't get the DA7 to take the sysex back.

I'm trying to restore it to the mix4 slot (don't want to overwrite mix3 until I know this works!), but I just get a "DATA ERROR (bulk Rx)" warning when I try. I have Rx ON and I'm hitting the REQUEST button, then starting the dump from Cakewalk. That's when I get the error.

One thing I noticed is that the manual talks about the 'request' calling for the data and triggering the transfer. But Cakewalk starts the transfer when THE USER starts it, not when it receives a 'request'. Could this be it?

I notice your message has been up here for about 5 days. I hope someone can answer us soon, mon ami.

------------------
Labrecque Creative Sound
Tucson, AZ

#99477 - 02/11/00 05:11 AM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Philippe BAUDET Offline

Loc: LUXEMBOURG
Dave,
Thank's for your message.
I didn't get very much help for this problem, that's a fact. I think everybody was more involved with OS2 Upgrade. I don't blame.
What appens to me was quit strange, as I don't know How, but I get my automix data back in memory, even if desk said " bulk data error RX ".
I can't tell you How it does this miracle, as I've tried several times, changing baud configuration, and even tempo in Digital Performer to read the information slowly.
The 4 memorys always write 0 event, but after tempting everything, I went to automix main layer, ready to do the automix again,and see about 3% memory left ( even if memory said 0 events ).
Don't ask me why, I could not answer. Some chance on it.
What is shure, that is that I will test send and return next time I'll have to save, and maybe I'll also backup with the tool included in the software upgrade, (wich works great for me the first time, looks solid and secure ( the all process took me less than 15 min but I don't have so many presets in memory)).
For the "request on" you mentionned, I think it's useless with an external sequencer, it seems to only work with application developped for this , like the back-up software previously mentionned.

The project is on the market for a few days now, passed "souvenir".
Thanks for your support.
Enjoy, Philippe.

#99478 - 02/11/00 03:38 PM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Dave Labrecque Offline

Well, it looks like you came up with a method that will work for you. Hopefully, someone will answer me, here, soon.

Thanks!

Dave

#99479 - 02/12/00 07:37 AM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Panafred Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca
Dave, I would suggest a call to our tech support line and see if they have any suggestions for you. 323 436-3620.

Fred Jones
Product Manager
Panasonic Pro Audio

#99480 - 02/12/00 12:59 PM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Mark Kluth Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
You don't have to click the REQUEST button. Just start playing the bulk data from your sequencer and the DA7 will start receiving it on it's own. I keep my timer thingy set at 50ms and have never had any problems.

#99481 - 02/22/00 05:30 PM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Dave Labrecque Offline

Pana: thanks for the number. I got it working! Apparently, I had the port set wrong in Cakewalk. I couldn't figure it out at first cuz 1) the dump TO Cakewalk worked fine (I guess it receives on all ports or something) and 2) I guess the DA7 gives that ERROR message after a few seconds when there's no data coming in. I figured it meant there WAS data coming in, but that it was screwed up data. So the output port slection problem didn't occur to me. Also, I had to roll it down to 0 ms. 50 ms or more caused trouble.

Thanks again.

------------------
Labrecque Creative Sound
Tucson, AZ

#99482 - 02/22/00 05:33 PM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
Dave Labrecque Offline

Mark:

Thanks. You were right, of course. All's fine now that I got the output port set correctly for the sysex transfer back to the DA-7.

Dave

------------------
Labrecque Creative Sound
Tucson, AZ

#99483 - 02/24/00 12:27 PM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
maric Offline
Founding Member

See if this works?

The DA-7 and Digital Performer Bulk Dump/Receive:

1) Make sure all MIDI connections are correct. In to Outs, Outs to
Ins.
2) Create a DA-7 instrument in Freemidi.
Make sure that the cables are coming from the appropriate ports on your MIDI Interface.
3) Make sure that the DA-7 is set to send 'System Exclusive' data on the
[MIDI>SET-UP] midi page.
Make sure the Gen. [Tx]. is set to MIDI and the same MIDI channel is set in
The Freemidi setup for the DA-7.
NO THRU IS NECESSARY FOR MIDI DUMPS FROM ONE DA-7
3) DA-7 - On the 'BULK' page in the 'MIDI' menu select the data you wish to backup
4) Within 'Digital Performer put the DA-7 into record.
5) ***HINT*** make sure that the 'INPUT FILTER' and the 'VIEW
FILTER' are set to receive 'SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE' data.
6) From here there are two ways to record sys ex data.
A) Press record in Digital Performer and then push 'Bulk Out on the DA-7.
You should see lights flashing on your midi interface.
When done you can see the data in the 'event list' for the DA-7. Make
Sure you have set the view filter in the 'Event list view filter' to display
'Sys Exclusive' data.
DOUBLE-CLICK on the 'event list' data to see data in the 'System
Exclusive’ window.
B) Open 'event list' for the DA-7 in Digital Performer.
Insert a 'system exclusive' event (Push the 'I' in the top of the 'event
Edit window
A bar location pops up. Select where you want to record the data (BAR
1:1:0 is fine). Press the tab key until a ‘System Exclusive’ window pops
Up.
Press [Bulk Dump] on the DA-7
When the DA-7 is finished, the 'sys ex' window will fill with data.
7) To send back data to the DA-7, Play the sequence or press 'Transmit' from the 'System Exclusive' window.
8) Make sure that you wait for all data to be sent or else you will lose or
Corrupt data.

#99484 - 02/24/00 11:44 PM Re: Automation Bulk request problem : Please Help !
tony brooke Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I've been using DP to back up/restore my DA7 data, and one important consideeration I found concerns the Opcode Studio 3 MIDI interface. I found that only the modem port would pass the SysEx data. Using the printer port would "block" it. I don't know if this is common among other (older) MIDI interfaces, but it killed me for a while...

A sequencer is a great way to backup/restore, as it gives you the ability to send/receive individual automation mixes, scene memories, etc. (But it seems the DA7 Upgrade utility is necessary for the 1.x to 2.0 DA7 OS update/conversion.)

------------------
Tony Brooke
Silent Way Recording
www.silentway.com
San Francisco, CA

Check silentway.com for hundreds of music links, Mac links, and equipment tips...

Edited by tony brooke (05/07/11 11:57 PM)
San Francisco, CA

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: