Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98349 - 05/07/01 11:20 AM DA7 or DA7 MkII? (+ some small questions)
codywestheimer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Greetings,

I've been monitoring the board for a few weeks now- very nice discussions. I am in the market for a digital console and am quite hot on the DA7, especially after hearing about all of your comments. Here are my questions:

1) Should I go with a used DA7 or a new mkII? At this point I'm unclear as to what features in the mkII can be upgraded via software. If I got a used DA7 I could upgrade to v2.5 of the software, right?

2) Exactly how many analog inputs come built in? I've seen 16, which is what I want, but I also plan on adding 3 TDIF cards....that means I would have a total of 40 channels, from my understanding it only can handle 32 (+ auxs) is this right? (Or would I switch back and forth btwn say one of the cards and the second 8 analogs...?)

3) The MIDI automation...I know the custom layer sends out MIDI, which is great for Digital Performer, but will it receive the MIDI automation I record and move the faders accordingly? Ex. could I record MIDI volume in Digital Performer and then have the faders slave to DP on playback with motorized faders?

4) I understand thee DA7 is not 96khz compatable, but it is 24 bit, yes?

5) One last thing--- if I were to buy a DA7mkII new, with 3 TDIF cards, the SMPTE card and a meter bridge, does anybody have an idea of the street price? How about a similar DA7 used?

That's it for now, I look forward to corresponding with you all in the future. Thanks so much for all your time and insight!

Regards,

Cody

------------------
Cody Westheimer
http://listen.to/codyw

#98350 - 05/07/01 01:20 PM Re: DA7 or DA7 MkII? (+ some small questions)
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
The answer to pretty much all your questions is yes, you're right; the answer to #1 is yes, for $400.

When you decide whether to buy a used or new one, be sure to find out about the warranty. I haven't looked closely at selling prices, but from what I've seen the difference between the two wasn't all that great. Yeah there's a Mark II, but the DA7 is for all intents a current model.

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: