Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95524 - 08/24/01 04:53 PM Hearing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think this may have been mentioned before - but it wasn't under "hearing" when I searched. My ears have been killing me lately. Along with itching and discomfort, I get a low and a high pitched noise - not real loud. I've always had very sensitive hearing. Is this thing here to stay? Listening to anything loud will bring it on, guaranteed. Guess I'll get it checked out. Anyone had this? (Tinnitus?) Advice?

#95525 - 08/24/01 05:01 PM Re: Hearing
rick Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Cambria, CA USA
If the symptoms started without loud sound, it could be wax buildup. An ear doctor will find it and remove it.

#95526 - 08/24/01 06:27 PM Re: Hearing
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
By all means, see an ENT soon! It could be an infection since you describe itching. Tinnitus is aggravated by loud music. I only get it when I'm stressed. Relaxation exercises help and there's certain herbs that can help as well. Can't remember which. Maybe Ginko.

#95527 - 08/25/01 08:47 AM Re: Hearing
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
I had problems with infection and irritation. I saw a few ENT doctors over a period of years.

What I do now that has solved this problem is I stopped useing cotton ear swabs. The cotton actually scratches the ear cannal, allowing the bacteria to get hold that's in the ear.

Also when I take a shower I use swimmers ear plugs to keep the water and soap out. That can also irritate your ear. Once a week or so after useing soap i'll rinse out my ears with water from the shower.

To remove ear wax I use a flat edge tooth pick and carefully insert it in my ear, useing the flat surface and gently scrap out the wax. It really works, but of course you have to be very careful.

The other thing I do to drain out the cannel from your inner ear to your nasel passage is draw air in thru your upper mouth, as if your haucking up a spit, and do it several times, the suction draws out fluids from your inner ear cannel into the nasel passage and allows your ear drum to move more freely. If you do that hard enough, you can actualy feel it in your inner ear. I can actually hear better when I do that.

Hope i'm not grossing you out here but it does work.

Lastly I have noise ear plugs in my car and use them when I cut the grass, vacum, in heavy traffic, any situation where there's a high SPL to protect my hearing.

I also jogg 2 miles a day. The increased blood flow to your ear drums is supposed to help maintain hearing as you get older.

Hearing is such a gift and to me has to be protected and looked after carefully. It's the most important piece of gear in the studio.

#95528 - 08/25/01 01:07 PM Re: Hearing
envoid Offline

Loc: NYC
YIKES !! My long ago deceased family doctor used to say dont put anything smaller than your elbow into your ear. I have always followed his sage advice, but if you feel confident enough to insert a small pointy object in there, more power to you. Personally, I'd be afraid I would puncture my eardrum.
That said, I have discovered a wonderful method for cleaning out the old potato farm. At your local health food/new age emporium, ask them for "ear candles". Seriously, they are amazing, and quite possibly the least invasive method I know to clean out your auditory canal. Using heat, the candle creates a vacuum, and suction occurs, pulling a copius amount of wax out of your ear. It's wild! I recommend them to anyone that would rather not experiment with sharp sticks...lol...
envoid

#95529 - 08/25/01 01:36 PM Re: Hearing
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Yeah but can you imagine the reaction from people if you FORGET TO TAKE THEM OUT when you go to the grocery store? Walking around with candels coming out of your ears on fire?

#95530 - 08/26/01 12:13 PM Re: Hearing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeremy, interesting about the cotton swabs - I've noticed the ears are more irritated after using them. I just bought industrial strength headphone-type ear mufflers - the riding mower was just too loud. I often have to "equalize" just like a diver because of the discomfort. This coming week I'll get the doc to check my ears but I'll bet there is no wax. Last time he said, "Your ears, if anything, are too clean!" I've had my ears candled too, but there wasn't much to see. I have rather tiny tubes between my ears and wherever. One doctor said I may have to get tubes in my ears but that will be the last resort. There always seems to be something - not complaining, - yes I am.

#95531 - 08/26/01 01:05 PM Re: Hearing
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

You should notice a difference if you stop useing them. They were the cause of most of my ear troubles. It takes about a week or so.

#95532 - 08/26/01 02:09 PM Re: Hearing
Phil Ward Offline

Loc: Pittsburg, KS U.S.A.
Carl,

Caffine (and some other stimulants) also aggravates tinnitus (if this is the onset of what you have), so if you are a heavy coffee or soft drink consumer - cut it down or go to caffine free drinks.

I agree with the comments above, see a doc soon and get it under control before anything gets worse!!

Good luck!

Phil.

#95533 - 08/26/01 07:03 PM Re: Hearing
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Tubes in your ears? Better stay away from EL84's. They burn way too hot!

But seriously, let us know what the doc says. Good luck. --Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: