Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84297 - 07/16/00 08:36 AM Re: outboard gear
electrok Offline

Loc: seattle, wa 98107
It does make a big difference I'm sitting here right in my studio recording drums and bass to the 2 " and then repatching to the digital system and the 2 " sounds much better.
The only reason I mentiond the 2" to begin with was we were talking about outboard gear. I said tape makes a much bigger difference than a mic pre, and it does. We can debate digital vs analog all day, I have both they both have stegnths and weaknesses. It's easier to compile tracks and edit on digital. It's nice to be able to go to any point in a song instantly. Analog sounds better.

ps Clegs I get my tape one pass for $50 bucks a reel. that's about the price you pay for ADAT's
It's easier to get a tech to work on your analog machine that it is to find someone who can come over to your digital studio and tech it for you!!! These people are non-existant!

#84298 - 07/16/00 08:36 AM Re: outboard gear
DANIEL R. GOMEZ Offline

Loc: RENO NV. USA
It never ceases to amaze me, the lack of factual objectivity on this subject, I certainly find my self slipping into that more often than I care to admit. I think the truth is that anyone who says that either recording format is better than the other is simply comparing apples and oranges. They both are great sounding in the hands of a competent engineer. Simply stated. My extensive exposure to both formats has led me to this basic premiss and approach...Digital recorders tend to work like a mirror, reflecting exactly(close)whats fed to them, therefore the outboard gear used on the front end is where 99.9% of sonic character differences are attained. Analog recorders on the other hand have a HUGE effect on the sonic character of signals fed to them for all the reasons we have discussed SOooooo many times. Good engineers must account for this as well as there are inherent issues with these machines as well, too lengthy to discuss now. They (both formats) definitely sound DIFFERENT, sound GREAT, and sound HUGE. My two cents.

[This message has been edited by DANIEL R. GOMEZ (edited 07-16-2000).]

#84299 - 07/17/00 11:51 AM Re: outboard gear
Jeff Oliver Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. 60645
While tracking, I use a Tube Tech C1B compressor and older Dbx 160 vu compressors. I like all of them. The tube tech is great.
When I can afford a 1176 or 1178, I will add this to the arsenal. I like the character that the correct mic, mic-pre, and compressors lend to the sound before it goes digital. I will use the on-board compression some times for peak limiting.

#84300 - 07/17/00 12:22 PM Re: outboard gear
Peter Offline

Loc: Franklin, TN USA
I have solved the analog/Digital problem using inexpensive Radio Shack parts. I have modified my Tascam MX2424 to accept 2" tape. It works in tandam with the mmc controls on the DA7. I have been able to run the tape at 30ips without ever running out of tape. The sound is incredible. All the warmth of tape saturation without the high cost of tape. I used a direct drive motor taken of an old G.E. refridgerator and modified it to run on a D.C. servo controller. The headstack assembly was custom made using fiber polymers and DuPont systems 3 filiments. The analog to digital interface is a modified Sadie system using an old P.C. 286 running DOS. If anyone would like the schematics, I will gladly share them. Just write to: Pull My Leg Productions 1553 Main Street, Holland, CT. 21659

#84301 - 07/17/00 02:04 PM Re: outboard gear
Eric Seaberg Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I don't understand why people are going GA-GA over the 1176/1178 re-issues! The studio complex I built in the early 80s had TONS of them and I didn't like 'em! Of course we also had LA-2As and LA-3As... the 2As being great for vocals and elec. bass.

I guess it's all a matter of "what's old is new" with a new generation of engineering types. I remember when Neuman U-87s sold for $375 each... NEW!!!

///// just feeling my age

------------------
ERIC SEABERG • San Diego, CA
eseaberg@turningpt.org

#84302 - 07/18/00 08:11 AM Re: outboard gear
DANIEL R. GOMEZ Offline

Loc: RENO NV. USA
I dig your sense of humor Peter!

#84303 - 07/18/00 01:38 PM Re: outboard gear
clegs Offline

Loc: Woodland Hills, CA, USA
Electrok-

First of all, Adat's (i.e., the non-blackface newer models) rarely have problems, and they are easy to service (if you have someone walk you throught it once). Problems usually involve dirt, a bad cassette, or a belt (all of which are easy to fix/spot, and remedy).

Also, I don't know where you're located (I'm near L.A.) but, I can phone any the local Sam Ash, Guitar Center, or major studio and get the name of many willing techs (some of whom make house calls) and the "look see" usually will cost about $36). And, in the worst case scenario, your can ship the unit back to Alesis in L.A. very cheaply (try that with your heafty 2" machine).

As far a $50 #499 (or others), good luck . . . ?? condition, usage, drop outs, stretches, previous inproper storage, wax pencil marks, oxide deterioation, etc. Happy trails.

Honest, I don't work for Alesis or Tascam, I just hate to see others get led down the nasty garden path I use to have to travel in the old days (back when that's all we had).

I think it's great that you're happy with the analog deck. But, to me, it's like someone who just met your x-wife, and is speaking her praises with out living with her for 10 years, and having your bank accounts cleaned out and you head mess with. Ah, but that's another story.

#84304 - 07/18/00 02:55 PM Re: outboard gear
electrok Offline

clegs
Like I said in an earlier post digital is good for some things, analog is good for somethings. I started in analog and switched to digital. I was really happy for a while, then I got the 2" and there is absolutly no comparison. I record rock music, tape sounds better. I suppose if your into a different type of music there could be an argument about digital sounding better, but I don't know.

I live in seattle and the digital techs here are very few. when I was in NYC there seemed to be more.
As far as ADAT's are concerned the new ones eat tapes just like the old ones. A friend of mine uses M20's in his NYC studio and they eat tapes. Yes, he knows how to service them.
I agree with you that analog machines have their quirks, but you just can't sit there and tell me that digital doesn't, else this forum wouldn't exist. You may be safer in the long run to stick with digital. All I'm saying is that if you like the analog sound you can't mimic it with digital technology, at least not yet. And if you want the analog sound bad enough then it's not the wrong road to go down.
electrok
ps I've had no problems with the $50 456 tape as of yet. I've used 15

#84305 - 07/18/00 03:08 PM Re: outboard gear
electrok Offline

clegs
1) the new adats do mess up. they are better than the black faces but they still arn't perfect. A friend of mine uses M20's in his studio in NYC and even they have eaten a few tapes. and he does know how to service them
2) I worked with analog for about 14 years then switched to digital for the last 4, now I've rediscovered the sound of tape and it's great. like I said before digital is good for some things and likewise so is analog. But I record rock music and the tape just sounds better, period.
3)as far as someone going down the wrong path. You could be right. there are quirks with tape machines, some times night mares and you can't ship them back to the factory. In fact it took me 4 months to get my machine is proper working order. but I'm glad I did. But if you like the sound of tape you can't mimic it with digital technology, at least not yet. Most major rock/alternative records are still recorded to 2" tape so if someone really wants that sound they will be dissapointed until they get the real thing. and all the little quirks will be worth it.
BTW digital has it's own quirks or else there wouldn't be this forum, would there?
4) the $50 456 has been fine so far, I've used about 15 reels and have had no problems
electrok

#84306 - 07/18/00 03:09 PM Re: outboard gear
electrok Offline

don't know why it posted twice sorry

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: