Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76045 - 02/18/06 06:44 PM Just acquired a DA7, need info.
KAyo Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I am now a proud owner of a DA7.

While I was looking for a digital console on the net (Ebay). I happen to come across the DA7. I had never even heard of the DA7. The console is well equiped and was reasonably priced to. So, I though I'd investigate further.

I went on a quick reading frenzy on the net to find out more. All reviews were positive. My only disappointment was not having built in FX. I was expecting them and did not bother to check etc.. Only after I bought it, I realized it did not have FX??? But, I guess they saved money to make it sound better rather than spend on crapy fx or converters, hopefully you all agree.

Now, how do i find out what model is my console. Is it a MKII or the older one. How do you distinguish the difference between the two?
And, on powering it up, should i be doing something in particular, like updating the console or resetting it etc..

Any tips to a newcomer like me, would help.

I thank you all in advance.

Regards,
KAyo

#76046 - 02/18/06 07:03 PM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Welcome to the club. The MKII has a blue top, and I'd imagine says MKII somewhere on it as well. It has the latest greatest software already so there's no need to update.

If you have a MKI you can see which OS is running by watching the LCD screen when you power it up. Version 2.01 is the latest system available and you can get it here at this site. Only caveat is you need an oldish computer to do the update.

#76047 - 02/19/06 06:12 AM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
Michael M Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA
One of the best things about owning a DA7 is the available information on this website - check out the archives and use the search engine to find immediate answers to your questions.

As for the FX, for what you've got in the quality of the board, after a very short while you won't care about not having built in FX other than the compression and delay.

#76048 - 02/19/06 06:34 AM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
shrimp Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: the briny deep
Welcome KAyo! Don't worry about having no on-board effects. Panasonic spent their money where it's most needed, in rock solid build quality, great (for their day) converters and useable EQ, to name just a few.

Tell us a little more about your current setup.

#76049 - 02/19/06 10:34 AM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
sscannon Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Florida
Outboard FX hook up very easily to the aux sends and returns of the console. I have never missed "onboard" FX.

#76050 - 02/20/06 05:04 PM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

Loc: The Universe
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest you get the automation and sync problems out of the way first.

#76051 - 02/20/06 08:45 PM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
KAyo Offline

Me mate's,

You guys are great. Such a warm reception, especially felt by a newcomer like myself, I am in good hands already. I thankyou all for taking the time to reply...

The reason for buying a DA7;
As an engineer, I am mainly involved in Mixing and Mastering. Mixing in the box has become a real problem for me; it doesn’t seem to cut it, it never did, but now I’ve had it. A mix can get demanding, especially depending on the type of cook, cooking it. I am one of those that prefer a whole lotta spices at every stage. An amalgamation of common demands, like EQ compression on all channels or even most channels can tax the system totally. Forget getting into all the other needs, like bussing, automation and FX etc...

So, it was time to get a console. Prefer to use the computer as tape recorder/ editor, with automation to help the process etc...
Which brings me to my main point; a final solution for my mixing needs.

My Rig:

RME 800 FW
2x Alienware systems
2x UAD
1 TC Powercore FW
1 DA7
1 Ensoniq DP+4

The setup I am looking at works like this; 3 ADAT cards on DA7 pre-installed which in turn connect to RME 800 FW ADAT optical, MASTER clock from RME or DA7, All ins and outs via RME. I really want to control or lock all my softwares to the console, I am a little lost there.
Softwares used Pyramix, ACID, VEGAS, NUENDO, SX, SEQUIOA, and ProTools via MBOX
How do I go about locking all mentioned softwares to computer or the easiest way to do this? Most of it is obvious as mentioned above, but if some experienced user could shed light on the connectivity regarding locking software to computer etc... I’d be very grateful.

Regards to all,
Kayo

PS: If any of you get some time; type “@ Kayo acidplanet” in Google search. Enjoy the listening.

#76052 - 02/21/06 11:36 PM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
Digitrax Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
Most of those progs will run a HUI as a controller and you can dowload and install HUI emulation (home page of this site) for the DA7. Also, the Custom MIDI fader layer is extremely powerful - you can even send SYSEX messages (even incorporating a fader or knob position) from it. Obviously mapping MIDI commands for all those apps would be time consuming, but at least it can be done.
You can have the DA7's automation chase the computer using MTC or get a SMPTE card (da7cards@aol.com) and do it that way, depending on what your interfaces have. Good luck and don't worry about FX - with the S/PDIF aux send/returns you can pick up a better FX unit than any of the digi mixers have in 'em (with the money you saved) and losslessly get signal back and forth. Congrats on your DA7 - I bought mine new for close to $5K and don't think I could do better even today for the money!
---Digitrax

#76053 - 02/22/06 11:55 PM Re: Just acquired a DA7, need info.
KAyo Offline

Thanks matey,

I needed that bit of info. Just to assure me, that the direction i was taking or thinking, wasn't totally wrong.

Much appreciated.
Regards,

KAyo

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: