Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69664 - 07/30/01 12:31 PM midi delay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the info over the years. Great people on this site! Yes, I have a DA7. I've recently used midi triggers on my acoustic drum set, namely snare and kick. I record the kit to Adat tracks and the triggers send midi to a Mark Of the Unicorn Performer (not digital)sequencer in my old Mac. But there is a delay. I have to connect two midi cords - maybe 30 feet in total. I find I have to put the drum sequence ahead a few ticks. My question: is this normal. Is there a standard ms delay per foot? I know this is done live. How do they do it and have little or no delay? Thanks.
Patch

#69665 - 07/30/01 12:47 PM Re: midi delay
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Some latency is inherent when you're using MIDI, so yes it's normal. But 30 feet is nothing when you're travelling at the speed of electricity!

The delay is mostly due to the speed at which your MIDI module triggers. The way to minimize it for real-time playing is simply to use a fast-triggering sound module like the Alesis DM5, which has excellent timing. In fact, it has trigger inputs with faster timing than MIDI; you can still record the MIDI output for tweaking during playback.

I don't know if there's a formula, but you can record the triggered sounds on a separate ADAT track and measure the distance between them and the triggering sounds.

#69666 - 07/30/01 04:13 PM Re: midi delay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nick,
I'm using the Roland V-drums so maybe there is a setting in the module that I can tweak to get a faster response - less delay. I'll look. Thanks.
Carl

#69667 - 07/30/01 10:06 PM Re: midi delay
Mark Kluth Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
Once the tracks are recorded you can always delay all your other tracks a few milliseconds to bring them back in time with the slightly delayed drum tracks. I own a V-Session kit but haven't noticed any delay in triggering - but then again I've only triggered from the pads, not MIDI.

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: