Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65197 - 08/21/01 08:17 AM Re: Hooking Up
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will, glad to hear that OS 9.4 is okay and the extension sets are important. Thanks for your off-site responses as well, man.
Dan - what is OSX? Your off site responses have really helped too. I must admit, posting on this site is intimidating so I often e-mail privately so at least only one person at a time gets to "laugh". I hope that if off-site emails are a bug, you will say.
CB

#65198 - 08/21/01 02:36 PM Re: Hooking Up
rick Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Cambria, CA USA
OS X is the new OS for Macs. Don't spend any time on it [for studio use] until you see studio software ported to OS X. It's completely different.

I've been working on parts of the IOKit for OS X since the beginning of 1998...that's the day job.

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 08-21-2001).]

#65199 - 08/22/01 06:14 AM Re: Hooking Up
psychoduck Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rick:
OS X is the new OS for Macs. Don't spend any time on it [for studio use] until you see studio software ported to OS X. It's completely different.

I've been working on parts of the IOKit for OS X since the beginning of 1998...that's the day job.

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 08-21-2001).]

Much as I like the look and feel of OSX, I think I'll wait for even a bit more time than when I see the osftware appear. Seems there is always a lenghty 'bug out' period with this stuff. I don't like being the beta tester anymore. I getting a 733 G4 today to replace my G4,(my wife wants it). This was the reason I even asked about different versions of OS9 and DP. I don't want to spend the time downgrading if it's not necessary. I'm also gonna wait until they have this multiprocessor thing DOWN cold. Then I'll get a dual Ghz machine...

Steve

#65200 - 08/22/01 07:21 AM Re: Hooking Up
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
The multiprocessor thing appears to be down cold already. I use a dual 533 and it rocks.

#65201 - 08/22/01 10:47 AM Re: Hooking Up
rick Offline
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dweiss:
The multiprocessor thing appears to be down cold already. I use a dual 533 and it rocks.

Yup, and OS X really knows how to use MP, unlike MacOS 9. On 9 the app has to do special things to use MP. On X the OS automatically just sucks up all the CPUs and doles 'em out where they're needed.

This is a Good Thing for future MP systems: it means they'll continue to be built. For a while, Apple gave up on MP systems since they weren't really being used fully.

#65202 - 08/23/01 05:43 AM Re: Hooking Up
psychoduck Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dweiss:

I don't think DP is out yet for OSX, and if it is, it's too new for me to mess with it.

Steve

#65203 - 08/23/01 06:17 AM Re: Hooking Up
rick Offline
Founding Member

As far as I know, there is no studio software available for OS X. (This is my observation as an individual, not an Apple employee. I have no contact with any folks involved with third-party support or high-end audio.)

Things like USB and serial are well-known, and working well on OS X. Things like USB speakers work, so perhaps MIDI support will be coming out in the near future. But those are only part of the studio-software picture...

#65204 - 08/23/01 11:24 AM Re: Hooking Up
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
DP is not yet compatible with OSX however, DP 3 does support multiprocessing, and it's processing abilities and speed leave version 2.7 in the dust. And it works great! No need to fear it. --Dan

[This message has been edited by dweiss (edited 08-23-2001).]

#65205 - 08/24/01 06:05 AM Re: Hooking Up
Anonymous
Unregistered

Two more questions:
1. Is there a USB version of Midi Express XT? I'll get it instead of the MTP.

2. The DTP will sync everything. Does it run in serial?
I've had it in the box, new for awhile and the software version says v 1.03 which is probably not the most recent. Thanks
CB

#65206 - 08/24/01 08:55 AM Re: Hooking Up
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Dude! Why not just go to www.MOTU.com and look at their products? Yes, there's a USB version - in fact it has USB and serial connections (as they all do today).

Rick, Emagic's stuff is supposed to ship for OS X next month. I think they're the first out of the gate.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: