Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5708 - 09/18/02 02:19 AM How do the DA7s converters measure up?
Audiofreek Offline

Loc: Prince George,BC,Canada
Just wondering how other users find the DA7s converters sound by comparison to Apogee etc.?
I have only used mine as A/D at 48K so far,and I fing a big improvement in sound over my DIGI001s.
I've been told by others,"that the true measure of a converter is how good it sounds @44.1k.because 22k is where the filtering artifacts,(ringing and aliasing)are most audible.

A.F. \:\)

#5709 - 09/18/02 05:37 AM Re: How do the DA7s converters measure up?
BartMan Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Audiofreek,
I think the DA7 converters have very good sound--even at 44.1k. But they do have significant aliasing. If Panasonic had tuned the anti-aliasing / LP filters a little lower, there would be less aliasing, but I think it would not sound as good overall. This is a trade-off in converter design that I think Panasonic did a good job with--or at least, they did it more to my liking. I prefer the filter be tuned a little to the high side and allow me to add more filtering at the input when needed--and it is needed at times. I did some testing for aliasing in the DA7 converters and posted my results in this thread.
Bart-

#5710 - 09/18/02 05:12 PM Re: How do the DA7s converters measure up?
TheHopiWay Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Washington State
Audiofreek,
Tracked vocals today using a splitter into the DA7 and into the Motu 2408.
All and all I prefer the sound of the DA7 convertors.
To my ears smoother upper mids and more defined or "tighter" response in the lower mids.
The 2408's sounded a bit warmer in the low end but with less definition.
I Know neither is the holy grail of AD/DA but they have the huge appeal for me of being in my studio and paid for. \:\)
I'll take the DA7 over the motu's but would not be embarrassed to use the motu's if I should need more than 16 A to D's.........
Hopi

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: