Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43396 - 01/22/04 06:27 AM Distortion on card 3 inputs 9-16 ( orange )
DP Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Hampton Bays NY USA
Awhile back there was a thread concerning distortion on inputs 9-16 when they're routed to card 3 ( adat ). Was there ever any reason found for this ? Or, maybe some kind of workaround ? It just seems strange that these inputs should act differently from the others... they seem to be more sensitive than the other inputs. Thanks

#43397 - 01/22/04 11:17 AM Re: Distortion on card 3 inputs 9-16 ( orange )
drmad69 Offline

It's because it's orange.

#43398 - 01/22/04 01:03 PM Re: Distortion on card 3 inputs 9-16 ( orange )
shrimp Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: the briny deep
DP,

I will frequently get OL LEDs lighting up while bringing tracks back through 9-16, but there is no audible distortion to the signal.
I have no explanation and in fact I'm not concerned about the LEDs as long as the sound is OK. Were you experiencing audible distortion?

#43399 - 01/26/04 10:20 AM Re: Distortion on card 3 inputs 9-16 ( orange )
DP Offline
Founding Member

Shrimp,
Yhea definately distorted( nasty digital crunch on top of the signal ) and difficult to get low enough to lose the distortion but still loud enough to monitor with other tracks. This seems like a software oversight by Panasonic that was never fixed
( after all, those inputs shouldn't show up on the preamp inputs ). I don't get any trims lighting up on inputs 17-32........

#43400 - 01/26/04 10:54 AM Re: Distortion on card 3 inputs 9-16 ( orange )
maric Offline
Founding Member

DP,

I've seen this condition, but nobody until now has complained of any audible or even inaudible distortion and I know of several DA7's being used in film transfer.

I would test for this condition with another card (if you have one) and if it persist report it to a RAMSA authorized service center.

I doubt very much that it's an overlooked bug but maybe a faulty card or mixer.

I'll ask around for ya and good luck.

#43401 - 01/27/04 03:12 AM Re: Distortion on card 3 inputs 9-16 ( orange )
DP Offline
Founding Member

Hi Maric,
Thanks for the reply! It's real possible/probable the distortion is on the recorded track at this point-BUT there's definately something going on at the input( this has been going on for awhile now ). Why would the trim indicator light up when the pre-amp isn't in line ? ( I think the answer is that the pre-amp is in line and that's why it's being overdriven by the "tape" level signal ). If the pre-amp is in line, why doesn't the trim work ? Hmmmm strange indeed. BTW, I have swapped my cards ( I've got 3 , all functional ) and they all act the same when in the 3rd slot. Thanks again

#43402 - 01/27/04 01:27 PM Re: Distortion on card 3 inputs 9-16 ( orange )
gitarted Offline

Loc: las vegas, Nv
Wow, I've got the same issue with card three. I didn't switch the cards around , but I did switch the opticals ,just to check if the same was happening. It seems to be somthing with the card, Not the actual levels printed. However, I dont hear any distortion. I just thought it was another strange DA7 thing. D.

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: