Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40161 - 06/05/04 11:16 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
dephipps Offline

Loc: nc
DSP cards are great but with the new G5s and faster PCs, they will eventually phase out. The processing power of these things are phenomenal and with the ability to max your ram at 8 GB, whoa. Do you need Pro Tools? It really depends on who you are working with. I use DP and have gotten as good or better results than Protools projects I have heard. To be honest, all of these programs are pro level daws, but none are all inclusive. As some mentioned, there are so many factors to a good recording other than the software, the main one being the operator. If you have any of the major daws and pro outboard gear and your recordings dont sound professional, maybe you need to take a good long look in the mirror to find your problem. Some of my clients want Protools, some don't, I convince them that what they really want is the best sound

#40162 - 06/05/04 11:28 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Unfortunately, you can't access all that RAM, since programs have a 2GB limit per. There are ways around it, but there's no reason to have more than 4GB installed.

...not that the amount RAM has much to do with the number of plug-ins you can run. What it does have to do with is the number of programs you can have cued up if you're using large sample libraries.

#40163 - 06/05/04 12:07 PM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
zumbido Offline
Founding Member

Loc: El Lay

Edited by zumbido (05/25/08 08:36 PM)

#40164 - 06/05/04 12:14 PM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
dephipps Offline

Loc: nc
I hear what you are saying Nick but lets remember that many of the programs have not been fully optimized for the G5s yet.

#40165 - 06/05/04 02:08 PM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Kelly Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Toronto
 Quote:
Originally posted by vincoprod:
Hey Dan. We are lovin all the Spectrasonics, and NI stuff as well. Especially Trilogy, FM7, B4 and Pro 53. Have you picked up the Korg Legacy bundle yet? I know your a Oasys PCI guy which we are wearing out. Looking to pick up another. Any who, good luck with you crashy DP set up. :rolleyes:
I hear the Korg Legacy stuff is a CPU pig. I tried opening more than one instance on my G4 867 and it crapped out.

#40166 - 06/05/04 07:16 PM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by vincoprod:
Hey Dan. We are lovin all the Spectrasonics, and NI stuff as well. Especially Trilogy, FM7, B4 and Pro 53. Have you picked up the Korg Legacy bundle yet? I know your a Oasys PCI guy which we are wearing out. Looking to pick up another. Any who, good luck with you crashy DP set up. :rolleyes:
I wore out my Oasys a long time ago and sold it when I first learned there would be no OSX drivers for it. It was very useful for a time. I don't have the Korg Legacy. Looks like it might have some nice possibilities. I was never much of a Polysix fan though even when the thing was new. But the fact that you can combine the synths is interesting.

#40167 - 06/05/04 09:20 PM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

dephipps, that's precisely my point. It's going to be great when the OS allows for 64-bit memory addressing. I don't think that's going to happen for a couple of years, though.

In the meantime, it would be great if Apple wrote a player for EXS that could be accessed by IAC, etc. I think I posted here that people have tried running multiple instances of Logic, but it just wasn't practical.

The same applies to Kontakt, etc. You can set up kludges, but it would be great if the developers worked it out so it runs reliably. The hardware is ready for that.

#40168 - 06/05/04 09:23 PM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Pro 53 is good, but I like Absynth better. I also like Access Virus TDM a lot. It sounds HUGE.

#40169 - 06/06/04 06:32 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Here's a quote from an article in this months (June04) Recording Magazine titled "The Art And Science of The Mix" by Bruce Kaphan...

Quote:
Thoughts on gear
I own and operate a relatively large Pro Tools TDM system. When I mix for clients these days, most of the time they will have constructed their tracks on a Pro Tools LE system. Their system limits them to fewer simultaneous high-quality signal processing options compared to mine-in general they have used fewer plug-ins. I carefully collected a sizable set of plug-ins, most of which sound more robust to me than those typically found in LE systems. Generally, I find the tracks of projects that were created on Protools LE systems don't sound nearly as robust as I think they should. There are so many reasons why this can be the case, but let's just say that expensive gear is usually expensive for a reason, just as great engineers and studios generally earn and deserve their reputation.
Hmmm. Flame on! \:D :p

#40170 - 06/06/04 07:41 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Kelly Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Toronto
uuugggghhh....

Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: