Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40011 - 05/26/04 06:23 AM Do I really need Pro Tools???
WorldWar III Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I'm currently a Logic user with a project studio. Many of my clients also use lager studios, with most of these studios running Pro Tools. I usually do file transfer via wave files for each recorded track.

(1) Is there any benifits, besides saving time, to running a Pro Tools session for those clients that need to transfer the files?

(2) How many larger studios are now running Logic in addition to Pro Tools?

(3) I can only afford to get a Pro Tools Le setup. How good is the Mbox?

Thanks for all your help.

#40012 - 05/26/04 07:00 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Kelly Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Toronto
I'm running Logic and Protools. I started with this setup years ago because it was sonically and performance wise the best game in town. That is no longer true. Proptools' latency and overall "stability", (DSP and TDM plug-ins) is the best but for the inflated $$$, it ain't floating my boat.
If your clients want Protools you may have to cave and go that route as I've had to but I'm also running an RME hammerfall card along side the Protools stuff for more i/o and it's bullet proof and sounds just as good. Mind you, I'm running an old 24 bit Protools system and have not yet compared it to the HD system but I'm not lining up to pay 18 large for the privilege.
As for the Le system and Mbox, I dunno, buut I think it looks pretty skimpy.

#40013 - 05/26/04 07:08 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
WorldWar III Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly:
I'm running Logic and Protools. I started with this setup years ago because it was sonically and performance wise the best game in town. That is no longer true. Proptools' latency and overall "stability", (DSP and TDM plug-ins) is the best but for the inflated $$$, it ain't floating my boat.
If your clients want Protools you may have to cave and go that route as I've had to but I'm also running an RME hammerfall card along side the Protools stuff for more i/o and it's bullet proof and sounds just as good. Mind you, I'm running an old 24 bit Protools system and have not yet compared it to the HD system but I'm not lining up to pay 18 large for the privilege.
As for the Le system and Mbox, I dunno, buut I think it looks pretty skimpy.
Thanks for your help. I think I might go for the 002 Le system.

#40014 - 05/26/04 07:12 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
I bought 002 just for the ability to interface with others when the need arises. That plus... sheesh, I can't believe some of the phone calls. "Dude.... you got Pro Tools?" 'Course, most that ask about it don't have a clue as to what it is. They only site PT because someone's filled their head with "sugar plumbs."
Brent

#40015 - 05/26/04 07:20 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
WorldWar III Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
I bought 002 just for the ability to interface with others when the need arises. That plus... sheesh, I can't believe some of the phone calls. "Dude.... you got Pro Tools?" 'Course, most that ask about it don't have a clue as to what it is. They only site PT because someone's filled their head with "sugar plumbs."
Brent
LOL...I get the same calls. These are the same guys that made all their tracks on their Play Station:)

#40016 - 05/26/04 07:52 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
Protools is a blessing and curse. The curse is expensive. The blessing is it works beautifully and is much easier to learn (in my opinion) than the PC counterparts. I strongly recommend if you do Protools you do it on a Macintosh. Others have had good success with the "light" Protools hardware which will run you $700-$2500 range not including computer. I recommend you spend the $15K or so and get a Protools HD|2 setup. For that money you can afford a decent Mac and monitor, a hardware interface (96 I/O maybe - 8 adat I/O, 8 analog TRS I/O) - you can also get some kick ass plugins. Protools TDM plugin architecture means you're reverb etc. instances are handled on the Protools hardware not on your Mac's CPU which means real time effects with near zero latency when monitoring - a huge plus.

You'll also be compatible with the pro's out there. A lot of people in this group will shun Protools because of the price but no one denies it is the industry standard. Get Protools: be happy: make more money with your clients.

I recommend the following online video which demonstrates loop editing in Protools and will give you an idea.

http://www.mtsu.edu/~nadam/downloads/PTlab3web.html

Requires Quicktime which you can get free from http://www.apple.com

Cheers!

#40017 - 05/26/04 08:25 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Michael M Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA
The questions: is it really going to make a difference to your clientele? Can you spend that money (or 1/4 of it?!!) on other things that will improve your setup and attract new biz? I'm a working pro without it (used to have it years ago) and haven't found it to be a problem to be compatible for projects i do. That being said, if my steady work was still sound or music editing for film, pro tools would still be my platform - it's not and it's not.

#40018 - 05/26/04 10:20 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
I have to take exception with that last comment on 2 levels. One is I really do believe Protools TDM is a significant step up in quality and raw recording power from a system costing 75% less.

On another level, I have come to think of Protools as a workhorse because it is so reliable and editing is fast. I've seen dozens of people edit and mix with Protools. If you can, find a Protools Pro and ask if you can watch what they do for 15 minutes. You'll see the light.

#40019 - 05/26/04 10:53 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
Michael M Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA
Justin, that could be said for any platform! Sit down and watch any working pro on DP, Logic, Nuendo, etc. - these are all pro systems with strengths and weaknesses just like pro tools. Is pro tools 75% better (faster, better sounding, more features, more stable) than any of these three daw's? Absolutely not! Is it even 25% better? Having direct experience with pt, logic and dp, the answer is no in my world.

#40020 - 05/26/04 11:37 AM Re: Do I really need Pro Tools???
theproduca Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Yes!!! DIGI 002 RACK is the way to go if you DON'T have 15 Stacks (GRAND), which you may or may not have. How much work are you doing? That's another consideration. I use DIGI 002 charging HIPHOP rappers 35HR. It will be paid for in 6 months. They don't know the difference between TDM and RTAS (LE). And of course if they want, you burn a DVD or CD with the files and have them take it to a TDM guy charging 75-125HR.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK, WHO is it!!!!!, It's the client you sent to the 75-125hr studio...We decided to do the WHOLE CD here!!!
Cool!!!!

That's an actual client for me, and MORE than once. But there were some who went to bigger studios ie Larry Gold (TSOP Producer and Engineer), or Angel Mountain. Never the less I got the recording business, now they can have the mixing part. I also transfer files using OMF Tool at one time. But since I've moved to OSX, I'm not sure of the next step for tracnsferring data from DP and Logic so easily.

Don't forget also that ProTools in any format is DIGITAL and has a bit of sterility to it. I try to use tube in AND tube out before burning to CD. I also have a few interfaces to bring at least 18 tracks OUT of the box for processing using outboard gear. If you're staying in the computer with LE, then you need plugs. Plugs will kill your CPU so you get smart and use BUSSES to multitrack plugs to mono or stereo channels together.

Well I'm done and I LOVE my DIGI002 Rack. In the lab or Mobile....It's all good.
Check out marajientertainment.com, then go to RocDaHouse Studio after you're done.

RaJ.................Out........................1

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 ... 17 18 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: