Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146750 - 02/25/18 02:47 PM WR-DA7 how to hookup for video post production
AuroraSound Offline

Loc: Texas
Hey all out there. I am looking into getting a wr-da7 to suit my video and music post production needs. I want the mixing console to control the software, I want to have each channel of audio on the DAW to send the audio to the console and play back through the console and utilize the 5.1 feature of the board for this need( or preferrably jerry rig it for 8 channel(7.1) output to the computer. I would like the mixing console to receive and send audio signals to and from the pc. For example, if I run audio on channel 8 in the DAW, i would like the board to control its everything and have the meter bridge show the level of that audio track. also all recordings from sources connected to the mixing board, to be recorded into the corrisponding channel into the DAW. How do I do this. Can this be done just by connecting the din 8 pin to serial? My previous solution was when i was looking at a eurodesk mx9000 and connect all of channels to the m audio delta 1010lt. I would like to avoid having a ton of wires everywhere just to interface with the computer like you see in hybrid mixing setups. I saw this was possible through the Digiface interface, but the board doesn't have the ADAT Digital I/O cards.

Edited by AuroraSound (02/25/18 05:30 PM)

#146751 - 02/25/18 02:59 PM Re: WR-DA7 how to hookup for video post production [Re: AuroraSound]
AuroraSound Offline

Loc: Texas
I have a windows 10(also which operating system should I use to best run this board? I don't like windows 10. Will windows 8 work?) AMD 6 core, 32gb ram, nvidia quadro and tesla card, built in sound card, no midi, no serial(going to buy if din to db9 is the best way to do this) 8 usb ports. The software I'd like to use with the mixing board( i have all of them, which ones are recommended for best performance?) Adobe Audition, Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, Avid Symphony, Avid Pro Tools. Also, can the WR-DA7 be hacked or modified to record in 96khz?

Edited by AuroraSound (02/25/18 03:28 PM)

#146756 - 03/27/18 08:33 AM Re: WR-DA7 how to hookup for video post production [Re: AuroraSound]
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
One at a time:
1) Does the board have "any" option cards installed? Without an ADAT digital card, TDIF digital or analogue card, it's basically a 16 input X 2 out mixer. Bus outs are worthless unless they're sent to the L/R out.. In other words, it won't do anything you need here without option cards.

2) The board has "no" computer connectivity aside from MTC for automation sync, automation/scene storage via sysex and meager 8 channel Hui implementation which is only available with V 2 software. There was half baked visual software released called "Max." But it will only run on Win 98 and was so bad, not even worth mentioning.

3) "I plugged my computer speaker out to a TRS input on channel 15 and 16 to keep it separate. The audio coming in is terrible and low signal. Super high distortion and can barely hear it over the monitors."

#1 The signal coming from your computer speaker out, ISN'T LINE LEVEL. #2, analogue inputs 9 thru 16 are balanced ring/tip/sleeve connectors.

4) The DA will only do 44.1 or 48k.

5) "I saw this was possible through the Digiface interface, but the board doesn't have the ADAT Digital I/O cards."

Again, see 1) above. Without option cards, the buses or inputs CAN'T be assigned to anything but the L/R output. Buy/install an ADAT card and presto, all those routing options will be available. Each card = 8 I/O. 3 cards = the maximum I/O of 24 X 24. Likewise... analogue input channels can also be assigned to a direct output. Thus avoiding or saving the 8 buses for situations they're actually needed.

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: