Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140396 - 11/16/10 05:49 AM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: Knife]
mlange Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Brentwood, TN
Please report back when you pop it open. Soldering a third lead is no problem

...... if the terminal is there!

Thanks Knife

#140401 - 11/16/10 09:28 AM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: mlange]
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New York
I already did it.

It looks as though the terminal is there - and even more promising, the terminal appears to be linked by a trace on the fan's circuit board a tiny IC chip, which I am assuming means the fan speed control is already installed in basically all of these fans as they are manufactured, but it is just not ultimately wired up in all of them, to suit them for different intended applications.

I also ordered some of those Evercool 3 conductor, 5v fans. When they get here, I'll to a bit of experimenting with them and also with making a "Frankesnstien" 3 conductor Shicoh fan out of the lead I have on the existing, dying fan and one of the newer Shicoh fans with only two conductors wired, that I just got.

I'll keep you posted.

#140410 - 11/16/10 03:18 PM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: Knife]
mlange Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Knife
When they get here, I'll to a bit of experimenting with them and also with making a "Frankesnstien" 3 conductor Shicoh fan out of the lead I have on the existing, dying fan and one of the newer Shicoh fans with only two conductors wired, that I just got.

I'll keep you posted.

That's how I'd do it, too.

Thanks for the info.

#140412 - 11/16/10 06:34 PM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: mlange]
rick Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Cambria, CA USA
Ooh...Frankenfan.

#140424 - 11/17/10 11:11 AM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: rick]
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Thanks for posting this Knife. I bought 3 replacement fans about 4 years go when someone here (who had a store) was blowing them out. They are still in their boxes, but I'm saving them because I still have three DA7s sitting in an 10 foot Agrossy console.

Anyone want to bu the whole thing? laugh

Cheers,

Andrew K

#142315 - 05/09/11 02:25 PM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: Knife]
Craig H Offline

Loc: Boston,MA
Originally Posted By: Knife

If not, look for replacement fans that definitely have the three conductors, elsewhere.

Like:

http://www.directron.com/ec6010m05ca.html?gsear=1 - $4.99

or

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093442.html - $6.99

Is there a preference on either of the above fan models, one says 15mm the other 10 mm or does it really matter and either will fit? Also is it pretty easy to access the fan and pop in a replacement ? Of course right now mine stopped making noise all of a sudden but I probably should look into replacing it anyway.

Edited by Craig H (05/09/11 02:29 PM)

#142317 - 05/09/11 04:14 PM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: Craig H]
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

I don't have a preference for either, as I never used one of them. I ended up rebuilding my OEM Shicoh fan with the leads and PC board from the original and the fan, bearings and casing from a newer Shicoh.

So far, no problems but, I have the Evercool 60mm 5V Ball Bearing Case Fan, 3-pin, 4000RMP, Model: #EC6010M05CA

http://www.directron.com/ec6010m05ca.html?gsear=1 as a backup.

As you can tell if you read this thread from the top, my fan was giving intermittent noises for several years before it finally started doing it all the time, pretty loudly. Up to you if you just want to take the plunge and replace now or, wait until it's really whining.

As for doing the replacement, if you have a moderate level of mechanical skill and a decent philips-head screwdriver, it's not hard to do, at all. Once you get the DA-7 open (and the mic-pre sub-chassis out of the way - about 20 screws, in total), the fan is right there, screwed to the side of the DA-7 itself. The thing opens up kind of like the hood of a car (it opens from the the back, hinged at the front). When you prop it open there's a decent amount of room to work.

There are photos and guides (which I found a bit incomplete and lacking detail, yet still helpful) on this and other sites. I think one of the older "Fan Replacement" threads in this forum has a link to a guide - including some photos - on how to open up and replace the battery and/or fuses inside the DA-7, that you can refer to.

#142318 - 05/09/11 07:41 PM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: Knife]
mlange Offline
Veteran Member

These were the other I found..... a silent Sycthe, but it was 60mmx20mm frown

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s672/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-60mm_x_10mm_Fans-Page1.html

#142324 - 05/11/11 10:33 AM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: mlange]
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

Not for nothing mlange but, those fans are not proper spec for the DA-7.

The DA-7 fan is a 5 volt fan. Those are all 12 volts.

A 12 volt fan will not operate properly (if at all) on just 5 volts. I'm not sure but, a 12 volt fan may also may damage the DA-7 by pulling too hard on the cooling fan power and/or speed control circuit(s).

#142325 - 05/11/11 07:28 PM Re: DA-7 Cooling Fan Update - Is This Still of Interest? [Re: Knife]
mlange Offline
Veteran Member

My bad on the V rating.

However, the fan would probably just turn slower..... it's the current draw (amperage) I believe we really need to be concerned with.

FWIW - If I get my hands on one I'll report back my experience.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: