Page 12 of 17 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 16 17 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133524 - 08/17/09 02:55 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: zrocks]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
That's a false choice.

#133525 - 08/17/09 03:04 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
zrocks Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
 Originally Posted By: Nick Batzdorf
"We will disagree because I believe in freedom and equality"

No, we disagree because we've formed different opinions over courses of our lives.

You have an irrational anti-government attitude that's at the heart of why our country is so divided.

Nick, You don't know me from Adam. Yet somehow in the shallow political postings of this board you can analyze my brain and diagnose irrationality in my brain. You are amazing.

It's particularly prevalent in Red states among more unsophisticated people - with notable Blue state exceptions like Josef, who formed that attitude behind the Iron Curtain where it was appropriate - and for this country it sucks.

You sound just like a stereotypical Alabama bigot with your grouping of subhuman dogs from Red states.

My father is the source of my vision of freedom. He, like Josef, fled his home country as Communists Iron boots stamped out one freedom after another (and quite a few citizens). It was appropriate to defend freedom in that country and it is also appropriate to do so now in this country. Only a tyrant fears freedom.

What really gets my goat is the "freedom and equality" religious vomit, which is total inversion of reality since it has everything to do with the opposite.

Classic Nick. For you to call freedom and equality "religious vomit" shows your true political colors. I feel sorry for you.

The irony is that this is the absolutely worst time to be libertarian, to the point that I almost feel sorry for these fools. Big Government action just averted another Great Depression - here and in other countries - yet these ridiculous people still go on believing the same crap as if nothing had happened.

Anytime is a great time to be a Liberterian.

Big government picked the pockets of and enslaved your grandchildren to "fix" a problem that they created by deviating from freedom and equality with their well meaning but misguided programs. Special interest groups benifitted and were well rewarded for bad management. Rather than admit that the original program was bad economics, they played politics and transferred the pain to future generations. Frankly, they should all be taken out behind the White House and shot for treason.

Anyway, cynical stirring of that ridiculous attitude is behind the "government takeover of healthcare" lies- under the banner of "freedom of speech," as if all speech is equal - that have very likely defeated the best chance in our lifetimes for meaningful healthcare reform. And the very assholes who have swallowed that shit sandwich are the ones who would have benefited from it the most.

At least my mail continues to get delivered reliably every day.

Slavery only benefits the enslavers. I would love to see Health Care reform. It is mostly with full government backing that the Insurance and programs are out of control. They are going to "fix" the problem by enslaving my great grandchildren. I have yet to hear a single detail about costs and what the program specifically does. Have you? I would love to see something better in place but so far that has not been forthcoming.

Glad you get your mail. I changed to electronic billing and electronic banking and would not mind having my junk mail delivered only 3 times a week.

~ Nick Batzdorf

#133526 - 08/17/09 03:15 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: zrocks]
Doggn' Mike H Offline

Originally Posted By: zrocks
Car insurance? Required by government because they do not feel the individual is capable of accepting the responsibility of driving (and the dangers of driving) without their help. Shouldn't it be based on the driver rather than the number of cars I own? I can only drive one at a time. But that is not the issue.

Wrong. Gov't mandates auto insurance on a local level (not national) to limit liability of both the individual as well as the local gov't. You clearly don't understand that this is not an issue of personal freedom.

Fire departments? When I lived in a rural area, we had a volunteer fire department. No government money was available so the community built the fire house, bought the truck, practiced on their own time. Great way to actually build a community. Not the issue.

Wrong. Clearly again you have no grasp of the issue when you use the concept of shared cost benefit as an argument against shared cost benefit.

Second example addresses private vs Public. The post office. Fedex, DHL, UPS all deliver stuff more efficiently than the post office does. Why? Because they are not bloated bureacracies. The private sector companies make a profit, share the profit with it's stockholders. The post office is poorly managed (with huge bonuses give to management for do a poor job) but if it needs more money, the government just gives it more.

Wrong. The reason why Fedex and debatably DHL & UPS 'deliver stuff more efficiently' is not because they are not bloated bureacracies. It is because they haven't been mandated to deliver mail. If you saddled these private companies with the money-losing proposition of having to take a loss on each piece of mail they delivered, they'd be in the same same as the US Postal Service or worse.

Let me sum it up:

Health Care
1)Not a function of government (consumer protection IS a function but somehow elected officials help the HMOs before the people who voted for them)

2)Could have post office type management. In other words - poor, wasteful and when you consider health care this becomes dangerous.

3)With the program comes new taxation and the potential for fraud along the lines of Social Security.

$.02

Wrong. In spite of the fact that gov't non-intervention in the banking business clearly lead to the economic collapse this past October, you continue to argue that the private sector is better at self-policing then the gov't.

#133527 - 08/17/09 03:20 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: zrocks]
sscannon Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Florida

Let me sum it up:

Health Care
1)Not a function of government.

Seems to work just fine for elected officials and the military.

2)Could have post office type management.

The post office delivers a letter from Florida to California for something like $.50. Mail comes to me at the same time every day. Works out great for me. If I want FedEx, I can choose to pay for it.

3)With the program comes new taxation and the potential for fraud along the lines of Social Security.

Like there's no corruption or fraud in the system we have now? Taxes? I thought the public option was supposed to collect premiums, just like private insurance.

If there was a clinic in town that was public and inexpensive, you bet a lot of folks that need healthcare and can't afford insurance would be there seeing doctors. Grandmas, mommies, babies. Now, it seems the only option available to them is the emergency room.

I was hoping a good, inexpensive plan was actually going to become available. I know a lot of people are suffering right now, and they can't afford health insurance. Maybe not you.

I've got a question for you (all). If someone has a family and can't afford the health insurance premiums offered by the private companies, what should they do? Self-pay-as-you-go is expensive, and emergency room visits must be paid for, or they will go to collections on ya.

#133528 - 08/17/09 04:08 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: Doggn' Mike H]
zrocks Offline

Originally Posted By: Doggn' Mike Hunt
Car insurance? Required by government because they do not feel the individual is capable of accepting the responsibility of driving (and the dangers of driving) without their help. Shouldn't it be based on the driver rather than the number of cars I own? I can only drive one at a time. But that is not the issue.

Wrong. Gov't mandates auto insurance on a local level (not national) to limit liability of both the individual as well as the local gov't. You clearly don't understand that this is not an issue of personal freedom. I am forced to have the proper insurance papers on a car that is parked in my driveway. Shouldn't the courts decide liability? Even if the other driver is at fault, I still feel it in my wallet (and so does every other driver). Governmant mandating anything is a loss of freedom. Clearly you are a sheep.

Fire departments? When I lived in a rural area, we had a volunteer fire department. No government money was available so the community built the fire house, bought the truck, practiced on their own time. Great way to actually build a community. Not the issue.

Wrong. Clearly again you have no grasp of the issue when you use the concept of shared cost benefit as an argument against shared cost benefit. The point being made is the significant cost savings with less government mandates. Baaaaaaa

Second example addresses private vs Public. The post office. Fedex, DHL, UPS all deliver stuff more efficiently than the post office does. Why? Because they are not bloated bureacracies. The private sector companies make a profit, share the profit with it's stockholders. The post office is poorly managed (with huge bonuses give to management for do a poor job) but if it needs more money, the government just gives it more.

Wrong. The reason why Fedex and debatably DHL & UPS 'deliver stuff more efficiently' is not because they are not bloated bureacracies. It is because they haven't been mandated to deliver mail. If you saddled these private companies with the money-losing proposition of having to take a loss on each piece of mail they delivered, they'd be in the same same as the US Postal Service or worse. Yet another government mandate that is a money pit. Look at your mail. Isn't it mostly junk mail which is sent at a discount in order to generate business for the sender? Why does the post office have to lose money (actually they just take more money from you) because they deliver junk mail. The government wants to be environmentally sensitive so why not charge the actual postage required to send that tree killing Victoria's Catalogue to Nick rather than use public money to do so?

Government mandates. Sheep love them.

Let me sum it up:

Health Care
1)Not a function of government (consumer protection IS a function but somehow elected officials help the HMOs before the people who voted for them)

2)Could have post office type management. In other words - poor, wasteful and when you consider health care this becomes dangerous.

$.02

Wrong. In spite of the fact that gov't non-intervention in the banking business clearly lead to the economic collapse this past October, you continue to argue that the private sector is better at self-policing then the gov't. Government INTERVENTION was the cause of the economic problem with the banking industry! You continue to ignore the facts by wanting more government intervention. And you still have no clue what the program even entails. Is that farmer John calling for you?

~ Nick Batzdorf

#133529 - 08/17/09 04:22 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: sscannon]
zrocks Offline

Originally Posted By: sscannon

Let me sum it up:

Health Care
1)Not a function of government.

Seems to work just fine for elected officials and the military.
How does that make it a function of government?

2)Could have post office type management.

The post office delivers a letter from Florida to California for something like $.50. Mail comes to me at the same time every day. Works out great for me. If I want FedEx, I can choose to pay for it. The junk mailers should either pay full price or use someone else. You are subsidising the delivery or garbage that is costly, environmentally, to produce and end up in the landfill poisoning you. The gift that keeps on giving. Why do you need delivery of this crap 6 days a week?

Like there's no corruption or fraud in the system we have now? Taxes? I thought the public option was supposed to collect premiums, just like private insurance. How could you think that when the legislation isn't even written?

If there was a clinic in town that was public and inexpensive, you bet a lot of folks that need healthcare and can't afford insurance would be there seeing doctors. Grandmas, mommies, babies. Now, it seems the only option available to them is the emergency room. Do the doctors, nurses, other medical personel work for free? Is the equipment free? What does it cost to run a hospital? Where is that money coming from? BTW, good comment, I just want a couple of answers.

I was hoping a good, inexpensive plan was actually going to become available. I know a lot of people are suffering right now, and they can't afford health insurance. Maybe not you. I am one of those. Yet I still do not see government as the answer except in a commerce regulator role.

I've got a question for you (all). If someone has a family and can't afford the health insurance premiums offered by the private companies, what should they do? Self-pay-as-you-go is expensive, and emergency room visits must be paid for, or they will go to collections on ya.I am painfully aware of that. I have not seen a government program that helps.

~ Nick Batzdorf

#133530 - 08/17/09 05:28 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: zrocks]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

"Big government picked the pockets of and enslaved your grandchildren to "fix" a problem that they created by deviating from freedom and equality with their well meaning but misguided programs."

Bullshit and hype. Also bullshit.

"Special interest groups benifitted and were well rewarded for bad management. Rather than admit that the original program was bad economics, they played politics and transferred the pain to future generations."

Bullshit and more hype.

The national debt was 125% of GDP around WWII - way more than it is now - yet in the following few decades the standard of living in this country rose like crazy and the debt as a percentage of GDP was paid way down.

Now, I have plenty of criticisms of the bailouts. But Big Government acted, and every economist I've heard agrees that it was because of that - flaws and all - that we're not in another Great Depression.

"I have not seen a government program that helps."

More bullshit, hype, lame ideology, bullshit, hype, and Ayn Rand droppings. That's just plain horseshit as well.

Everywhere you look there are government programs that help, from our infrastructure on down to Social Security, Medicare, public education (severe criticisms notwithstanding), veterans' programs, and on and on.

It must be the cold in MN that makes you like this.

#133531 - 08/17/09 05:39 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

"Nick, You don't know me from Adam. Yet somehow in the shallow political postings of this board you can analyze my brain and diagnose irrationality in my brain. You are amazing"

Thanks but it doesn't take great powers of insight to diagnose irrationality in your brain. For a start you're libertarian in ignorance of reality. But beyond that, saying everything government does is against freedom and equality, and government intervention to prevent another Great Depression is enslaving your grandchildren...that's at least irrational and possibly psychotic.

Or maybe just plain stupid.

#133532 - 08/17/09 07:46 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Doggn' Mike H Offline

amazing how insanely wrong about everything you are zcocks - and how pitiful that the taxes I pay in cali filter into that failure of a pisshole called minneapolis

#133533 - 08/17/09 08:16 PM Re: OT:Conformity is now the new dissent - Community Organizer wants to organize us all. [Re: Doggn' Mike H]
EWF Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/17/potter.health.insurance/index.html?iref=newssearch

Like Nick said, some things shouldn't necessarily be for profit. Healthcare is probably one of them. A for-profit healthcare system invites corruption and makes a wager on our lives and health for the profit of insurance companies. Insurance companies should not be allowed to decide whether we receive care or not.

This is not the Wild West nor Colonial America anymore where you could and would expect government to take a hands off approach. If we are to consider ourselves a highly-civilized nation then we need to provide for something as basic as the health and well-being of all our citizens. We have too many people and some of our problems are too big and complicated to expect the private sector to be able to handle them efficiently. There is a time and place for the private sector and there's also a time and place for government. Rather than waste our time debating the merits of government-run organizations as they currently exist, we should be figuring out how to make them run better.

Edited by EWF (08/17/09 08:27 PM)

Page 12 of 17 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 16 17 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: