Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132093 - 06/12/09 12:20 PM OT: Meat
Jazzmo
Unregistered

Do yourself a favor, try an experiment, stop eating meat of any kind, including fish for 1 week. It's my 4th day and I have not felt better in a long time.

My metabolism is so much more "relaxed". Sleep better, over all feel in better health.

#132096 - 06/12/09 03:26 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: ]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
I doubt it's specifically because you're not eating meat that you feel better, Jeremy. Nutrition is more complicated than that!

It could be that you're not eating *fatty* meat, that you're eating less in general, that you're eating something else good/not eating something else bad...

I'm not a nutritionist, I don't know what your regular diet is, and for that matter I don't know whether you have some unique sensitivity to meat. But my nutritionist has nothing against lean meat in general, in fact she was almost annoyed that I only eat chicken (no skin) and fish.

#132100 - 06/12/09 07:07 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
My Nutritionist says "balance" to me all the time. She says we need all the parts in balance - We need the fats and the proteins. She also stresses to not eat as much at a meal and instead spread them out and eat 6 times a day. She stresses fresh fruit and veggies and really hits on not eating anything that has been processed at all. The fewer steps between the farmer and us the better.

#132101 - 06/12/09 07:07 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
mlange Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Brentwood, TN
If you can't tell what it is (or was originally) by looking at it, you might want to reconsider eating it.

#132109 - 06/13/09 03:03 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: mlange]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

"We need the fats and the proteins"

Absolutely, the good fats. That's why it's a good idea to eat lean meat rather than lots of animal fat, and why I don't eat the skin when I eat chicken (it's the fatty part).

For an example of good fat, I was assigned hard cheese from Switzerland, because the cows are fed grass there rather than corn. One of my eyebrows is raised about that, but I do follow it like a good boy anyway. \:\)

#132111 - 06/13/09 07:54 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: mlange]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

Loc: The Universe
 Originally Posted By: mlange
If you can't tell what it is (or was originally) by looking at it, you might want to reconsider eating it.

'twas a possum ;\)

#132112 - 06/13/09 08:41 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Audiophile]
olguitar Offline

Loc: minnesota
I hope you enjoyed it.

#132116 - 06/13/09 11:05 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Nick Batzdorf
"We need the fats and the proteins"

Absolutely, the good fats. That's why it's a good idea to eat lean meat rather than lots of animal fat, and why I don't eat the skin when I eat chicken (it's the fatty part).

For an example of good fat, I was assigned hard cheese from Switzerland, because the cows are fed grass there rather than corn. One of my eyebrows is raised about that, but I do follow it like a good boy anyway. \:\)

See... thats my problem.. Im not good at following. Im good while at home and in a controlled environment. But when I work else where I blow it. Especially in another studio. The Schedule is all over the place and the choices are few and when it comes to peer pressure.. Im not so good..

#132119 - 06/14/09 09:10 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Jeff E]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
Meat a couple of times a week is OK. Current research absolutely links high meat consumption and colon cancer and other cancers. And sadly, grilled meat is the worst in that regard.

#132122 - 06/14/09 10:29 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Dan Weiss]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

I think that's the burned part. But isn't it the fat in the meat that does the damage?

#132124 - 06/15/09 09:02 AM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Tardo Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Not meaning to hijack

But did anyone see CBS's Sunday Morning show? they did a little spot on this Heart Attack Grill

I like a good burger once awhile but these are overkill.

#132129 - 06/15/09 11:27 AM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Tardo]
Michael M Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA
I don't think it's any mystery that someone who eats meat 2 0r 3 times every day would almost immediately feel better not eating meat after 3-4 days.
do some kind of colon cleanse, and you'll see how healthy you really are.
most meat eaters have colons filled with pounds of rotting undigested meat - something that is obviously not healthy, and occurs because meat is more difficult to digest. the typical american diet is meat at every meal, which is not balanced. for me, eating beef once a month or every couple of months is a shock to my system unless it's in small quantities - it takes several days to digest. you're supposed to poop once for each meal you eat, which is an excellent sign of how healthy your digestive system is...

#132131 - 06/15/09 02:00 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Michael M]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

I used to be on an all vegitarian diet but they're getting hard to catch.

#132133 - 06/15/09 02:14 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Audiophile]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Michael, I've often wondered about that: is it really "hard to disgest" or does it just take a long time to digest? I'm not saying I know the conventional wisdom is wrong, just that I'd like to know whether there really is evidence to support it. Plus I would have thought that anything your body doesn't want to digest is going to get flushed out with everything else.

And surely one-in/one-out is a function (yuk yuk - and yuck!) of what you eat as well as how healthy your digestive system is. A cup of serious coffee will open my sluices right up, for example, but I doubt it's an indication of anything much at all. On the other hand I've been assigned two servings of fruit every day, and that has a (less immediate) laxative effect that's probably very good.

I enjoy it anyway.

\:\)

#132136 - 06/15/09 03:09 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
 Originally Posted By: Nick Batzdorf
I think that's the burned part. But isn't it the fat in the meat that does the damage?

Unfortunately what they've discovered is that while the burnt part is clearly chock full of carcinogens there is also mutation done to the meat by the high heat from grilling. So even if it's not burnt it's still a potential problem. I hated to find this out.

#132137 - 06/15/09 03:15 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

People who have food lodged in their intestines mainly because they don't eat enough fiber and eat processed foods more than anything; You can do this even with an all vegitarian diet. Colon cleansing is merely a process of eating lots of fiber and raw vegitables. I belive overdoing anything can cause health problems, not just with meat. Vegans and vegitarians who don't know how to suppliment their diets can have serious health problems and deficiencies in their systems.

#132138 - 06/15/09 03:19 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Audiophile]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

BTW have you guys heard of the rotten meat cure for intestinal cancer? It's a diet where this guy ate raw and rancid meats. Apparently the bateria that feeds on dead flesh doesn't touch the live flesh, so when consumed, it eats away at the cancer cells leaving the live flesh intact. Apparently it works.

I have seen the same situation with magots and injuries. Maggots are good for wounds cause they do the same thing, eat the dead flesh only.

#132142 - 06/15/09 03:51 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Audiophile]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

I eat a spoonful of ground flax seed every day mostly for that - I mean for fiber, not for curing cancer. It's like eating sawdust, but doesn't taste bad.

#132156 - 06/16/09 12:17 AM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Cool, I have not been able to log in here for a few days now.

Ok, so I lasted 1 week as a vegan. I felt better in a not so sure way but on sunday, I was so mentally out of it. Spaced out. It was so bad that I ate some beef, salmon and chicken. The next day I started to feel more normal, and today even better.

I do think I was eating more meat (including fish) than I needed (should). For some reason, during the "test" of not eating meat, my digestive system kicked into high gear. Why I don't know.

One other topic I need to learn more about is distilled water. I distill filtered water (culligan) city water. I drink up to a gallon a day, to make up for dehydration from light beer.

Edited by jeremy hesford (06/16/09 12:26 AM)

#132162 - 06/16/09 12:36 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: jeremy hesford]
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Jeremy, my recommendation would be either to consult a good nutritionist (expensive but well worth it, and you can probably get your insurance to cover most of it) or read up on nutrition. You're hitting on things that work, but the way you're going about it is a little arbitrary.

For example, your body wasn't craving meat specifically, it was craving protein. There are many other good sources of protein - especially eggs - if you sense that too much meat is making you feel bad.

And you're right to learn about distilled water. I've heard both that it's good and that it's bad (because it doesn't have minerals you need).

#132163 - 06/16/09 12:55 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Nick Batzdorf]
Audiophile Offline
Founding Member

distilled water will leach the minerals out of your body.

#132168 - 06/16/09 09:32 PM Re: OT: Meat [Re: Audiophile]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Yeah I have read both good things and bad about distilled water.
It also leaches toxins from your body. If your getting enough minerals from food, then I don't think you need it from water as well. It's just another one of those arguments, both sides think they are right.

http://www.bodyforlife2.com/distilledwater.htm

Edited by jeremy hesford (06/16/09 09:48 PM)

#132639 - 07/05/09 08:34 AM Re: OT: Meat [Re: jeremy hesford]
SeƱor Poopy Pant Offline

Loc: LA
eat yer da7. lots of iron. and minerals.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: