Page 10 of 22 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1483 - 02/26/04 01:14 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
shrimp Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: the briny deep
 Quote:
I've known gay's and at least once they expressed interest in 'gettin to know me better'. I've had gay strangers walk up to me and ask to go have a cup of coffee. I've had gays ogle me in the check out stand at the local supermaket. I don't appreciate the attention. How do I know they were gay? I just got a sick feeling by how they approached me.
Hey cyberblue, you're not foolin' any of us. It's time for you to come out of the closet, dude!

#1484 - 02/26/04 01:42 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
This has nothing to do with anarchy, of course. The reason people are against gay marriage is that they don't like it or approve it, for whatever reason. All the justifications are then invented to support that. And they're all wrong and - yes, in my opinion - illegal.
Understood.

I'm just wondering how a truly rational and objective person couldn't ALSO see that the opposing argument is:

The reason people support gay marriage is that they approve of it, for whatever reason. All the justifications are then invented to support that. And they're all wrong...

i.e. The EXACT SAME argument about "personal values" being put forth applies to BOTH sides of the argument.

Either you think gay marriage is OK or you don't.

In EACH CASE, however, the position taken by EITHER SIDE amounts to putting forth an individual value. This is true for BOTH SIDES of the debate.

To enter into the debate and accuse only your opposition of putting forth their "own views" is folly. It won't resolve a thing. And it ultimately leads to a lot of the types of unresoveable "You're wrong." - "No. YOU'RE wrong!" exchanges we've seen here.

If we want to see some progress (if it's at all possible), we need to dispense with the biased "they are making it personal" type characterizations and 1) admit that WHATEVER your position, what you want is to have your personal views on the subject control, and 2) THEN talk about WHY you think your postion should control - based on objective facts, standards and real, recognizeable consequences of behavior.

I'm not gay and I'm also not a gay-hater or homophobe.

On a very objective level, I DO see both sides of the argument.

It is a sensitive, highly charged subject. And each side of it has at least SOME margin of rationally based logic to it.

#1485 - 02/26/04 01:57 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
 Quote:
I'm just wondering how a truly rational and objective person couldn't ALSO see that the opposing argument is:

The reason people support gay marriage is that they approve of it, for whatever reason. All the justifications are then invented to support that. And they're all wrong...
That's the point: it doesn't *matter* whether I approve of it. There's no reason for it to be any of my business - or anyone else's.

I admire your measured calmness, but just because an argument turned on its head is also an argument doesn't mean the upside down one isn't total bull****!

#1486 - 02/26/04 02:02 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
John writes:
"would i be right in thinking that last year in the US, close to 1,500 scout masters were removed from their duties relating to incidents of 'homosexual procurement' towards young boys in their care?"
-------------------------------------------
John... would I be right in thinking,
Bridget Bishop
George Burroughs
Martha Carrier
Martha Corey
Mary Easty
Sarah Good
Elizabeth Howe
George Jacobs, Sr.
Susannah Martin
Rebecca Nurse
Alice Parker
Mary Parker
John Proctor
Ann Pudeator
Wilmott Redd
Margaret Scott
Samuel Wardwell
Sarah Wildes
John Willard

were all either hanged or "pressed" to death by Christians thanks to the Salem Witch trials. {ahhh... there's that "Christianity" word again}
That's what-cha got here with "them there" Boy Scout leaders... a modern day witch hunt conducted by a bunch of Bible punching bigots with Gay-a-phobia.

It doesn't take much sense to figure out a gay scout leader poses about the same threat to a young boy, as a heterosexual male does as an elementary teacher teaching young girls. There's opposite polarity in either scenario and it's ones morality {gay or straight} that dictates appropriate behavior.
But see, your VERY wrongful Christian belief is, anyone that's not heterosexual is immoral.
As long as this is the silly belief, when a gay man as much as lays a hand on a boy, the gay-o-phobic Christian believes "oh... see that, I know just by touching that boy, his "putter" is straightening." But... when a heterosexual man comforts a small girl because she's crying, it makes the Christian's heart melt.... Oh how warm and fuzzy. 'Course, ya never know, he may be getting a "stiffy" too.... but you'd hate to believe that wouldn't ya?
Speaking of morality.. you know I'm sitting here thinking every Catholic priest on the face of the planet is a gay child molester. I mean gee whiz... I always knew they all smoked and drank excessively ... that and most had some females on the side. But now come to find out, they all have a thirst for "little people" too.
With this being known, don't you think it appropriate we all go on a public campaign and stamp out every scumbag Catholic priest before they fudge pac again?

Ya see john, I know about gay folks because I know them, I've worked with them, they're my friends. They're every bit as concerned about world events, child abuse, Osama, "boy scouts" as you and me are. The only difference is, you don't care to know any. Because of your belief system, they turn your stomach. And hey, if you were a real Christian, you'd know that the way you feel goes against your very belief system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John continues:
"and that, gee, you know, gee, kids are just like really grown up nowadays, and that gee, you know, they have their own sexual identity, and gee, you know, we wouldn't want to deny our kids their basic human rights, etc gee...
wise up. when it comes to kids and sexuality, they have no rights. they are not meant to be sexual objects, they are children.""
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah... I've noticed that about their rights. But... run down the street and ask your local Catholic priest about the "sexual object" thing. There you're obviously wrong.
Brent

#1487 - 02/26/04 02:43 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

You let me know when you want to stop, OK?

Seriously.

I realize this type of stuff can get real annoying. I recognize that and I can turn this off any time it gets to that point (if it hasn't already...!..).

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
That's the point: it doesn't *matter* whether I approve of it. There's no reason for it to be any of my business - or anyone else's.
Of course, your position is that it should be NOBODY'S business if gays want to marry. That is a progressive stance.

But it fails to acknolwedge what has gone on up to this point. The debate about gay marriage did not present itself in a vacuum.

"Marriage" is a defined term. It has been for centuries. The word - and the condition it represents - carry not only religious implications, but legal ones as well (some of which are issues regarding the provision of health care and other benefits to "spouses," the event of - and grounds for - divorce, the results of divorce, the handling of community property, tax issues, etc., etc.). These ancillary elements of what is recognized as "marriage," have grown up and been applied as a result of hundreds of years of real, applicable experience, wrestling with the idea of what "marriage" represents.

So, while the ideal that it's nobody's business who marries who is admirable, it is just not realistic. Who "marries" who has been everybody's business - for quite some time - even amongst heterosexual couples.

It is not as simple as announcing "It's a private, personal choice."

Heterosexual marraige is ALSO a private and personal choice, yes? But with that choice the participants enter into a condition with all sorts of additional concerns. Concerns that often result in (require?) public scrutiny, judicial intervention and governmental control.

So, again, if we want to try to resolve the issue, we need to get beyond the "sound byte" exclamations of quickly announced social and moral ideals that we would like to apply to the question - and REALLY look at the question and ALL of the ramifications that might come from whatever decision we support on the issue.

Quote:
I admire your measured calmness, but just because an argument turned on its head is also an argument doesn't mean the upside down one isn't total bull****!
If the original proposition announcing the relationship between two objective elements was soundly stated, inverting only the elements in the statement often results in an equal but opposite proposition.

#1488 - 02/26/04 02:45 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
halljams Offline

Loc: Yukon
 Quote:
Originally posted by cyberblue:
I look at the gay condition as an out of control obsession, just like alcoholism and drug addiction. There is ample proof that alcoholism is inborn and that some people simply cannot drink without it becoming a problem. They have a choice to either follow their "natural' instinct of drinking themselves into oblivion, or give it up and totally abstain. I don't think any sane person would suggest that they just "enjoy' drinking when they know that doing so is destructive.

There are some people who have a pre-disposition to serial killing. It seems that certain personalities have a "natural' desire to kill. No one would suggest that they go out and fulfill their "natural' desires.

There are certain primitive cultures that engage in man boy sex and view it as a normal right of passage to adulthood. Does this make it right? I dare to say the vast majority, both gay and straight would view this as disturbing.

So here we have someone who has a pre-disposition to gayness. It seems to be true that certain personalities are naturally attracted to their own sex. So maybe it is natural, but it is certainly not normal, and to encourage gay marriage is an attempt to change societies views on gays and make them feel normal and accepted. I'm not suggesting we bash gays, but those that believe there is something wrong need to voice it loud and clearly, so that their children are not confused on the issue. I believe there will be children that may be on the fence on this issue, and could be pushed either way, depending on societies views. If society views gay as normal, those impressionable children will be swayed to the darker side. Gay marriage only makes it seem more normal. Sex with children animals and etc will be accepted as "natural' eventually, given time.

The bottom line is, we need to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. Not all human behavior is acceptable in an organized society, and their needs to be limits set, or society will ultimately disintegrate.

Based on the changing lax attitudes towards gays in this country, is it any wonder the Bin Ladens of the world want to attack us? You can't turn on the TV anymore without seeing some show about gays. Right now it is usually in a joking manner, but give it time. Do I hate gays? No, but I don't want them flaunting it front of my impressionable children either.
That whole post is dripping with fear and reluctance to see the other side.
Why do you think it makes you so uncomfortable?
Other than because it's not normal as you say.
I got news for you, normal sucks.
Normal is what's going to destroy the world.

#1489 - 02/26/04 02:50 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Dan Weiss Offline
Founding Member

Loc: New York NY USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by john gee:
i'm not out of mind, nick, don't worry.

let alone the gullable 'gays, feminists and minorities' who are having their ambitions/egos advanced through an agenda which, i believe, has yet to be fully realised by the public, and such groups.

israel/cia = 911
time to wake up.
:rolleyes:
No, you're not out of your mind. Worse, you've got an agenda of you're own. So Isreal flew planes into the WTC? This is the kind of irresponsible internet hash that's been contributing to the largest rise in anti-semitism in recent history, and sympathy for strap on bombers. I just hope nobody here takes you seriously.

I'm no fan of this administration and much of what they stand for, but you've clearly been reading too many conspiracy theory web-sites. So tell us, what's the agenda that us juvenile yankee cows are unaware of?

#1490 - 02/26/04 04:27 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

Wow.

Lots of stuff there. Just one point of fact:

Quote:
Originally posted by john gee:
i know america's got the best airforce in the world.
i know america's got the most sophisticated continental radar system in the world (NORAD)
i know america's internal commercial airline industry is the most efficient and regulated in the world (governed by the FAA).

i know that the probability of ALL 3 failing, systematically, at precisely the same time, with no repercussions through the chain of command, runs into: tens of billions to one.

or it was inside job.
Um, the 9/11 attacks were NOT the result of a "failure" of either:

1)the Air force (which was NOT charged with monitoring commercial air traffic),
2) NORAD (which also, is NOT charged with monitoring commercial air traffic), OR
3) the FAA (which had little or no reason to suspect the aircraft in question were to be subject to the hijackings).

When your theory is based on such patently erroneous "facts" and assumptions such as these, you shouldn't be surprised when folks don't eh, "wake up" to your eeehhm, "reality."

#1491 - 02/26/04 04:31 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Quote:
The debate about gay marriage did not present itself in a vacuum. "Marriage" is a defined term. It has been for centuries.
That is true, and in fact it’s the first thing anyone has said in this entire thread that’s caused me to pause. And after pausing, my answer is that we’re having the debate in 2004, not 1970 - i.e. the past isn’t a vacuum either. We’ve learned a thing or two over time.

Quote:
The word - and the condition it represents - carry not only religious implications,
...which are not allowed to be imposed on people who don’t practice those religions...

Quote:
but legal ones as well (some of which are issues regarding the provision of health care and other benefits to "spouses," the event of - and grounds for - divorce, the results of divorce, the handling of community property, tax issues, etc., etc.).
As I said before, these are the two issues: “religious” and “civil.” Freedom of religion and civil rights are both guaranteed by the constitution in this country. This was decided quite a while ago throughout most of the western world during the Age of Revolutions!

At least some people are sincere about not believing in this when they say it’s for religious reasons - however misguided and shallow they are. But saying that gay people shouldn’t be entitled to same benefits as heterosexuals is, as I said, 100% indefensible by any standard.

Quote:
So, while the ideal that it's nobody's business who marries who is admirable, it is just not realistic. Who "marries" who has been everybody's business - for quite some time - even amongst heterosexual couples.

#1492 - 02/26/04 04:35 PM Re: OT: Gay bashing
Nick Batzdorf Offline
Founding Member

Funny, half of that didn't post.

Here's the rest:

My wife and I got married because we wanted to. I don’t remember asking anyone’s permission. It wasn’t an arranged marriage.

Quote:
It is not as simple as announcing "It's a private, personal choice."

Page 10 of 22 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: