Page 3 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111155 - 07/28/07 12:24 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Stevehwan]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Ok, i've listned to the track. If this is to work, no changing of anythng other than just basic mixing. No Melodyne on the vocals because they are way out.
In order for this to work, there has to be a equal playing field.

No mastring, because that can greatly change what this is about.
If yall are cool with this then i'm in. If anything goes then it's not what it was supposed to be. Is that cool?

Edited by jeremy hesford (07/28/07 12:28 AM)

#111156 - 07/28/07 12:37 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
EWF Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA
I'm with you, Jeremy. I'm gonna do it just for fun. If we get to add instrumentation, etc. then it's not just mixing anymore. If anything, it should be two separate competitions then.

#111157 - 07/28/07 12:42 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

No time aligning, this is about sonics. What your rig puts out.
And it's not about someong being better than someone else, other than me being better than Nick and puting his name calling ass to shame.

he obvoiusly has problems, like we all do. The diffrence is I don't try to degrade a person because he disagrees with me, I don't resort to childish name calling.

BTW, where are you Nick?

#111158 - 07/28/07 01:02 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Justin, offtopic here but I can't see anywhere were to start a new topic.

I went to a bar tonight, when I pulled up in front of my house, there was a car parked in front of it with lights out at about 1 am, and I noticed what looked like a girl duck down as I passed so I wouldn't see her.

I'm in a suburban neiborhood, my house is at an intersection of Winer Road and Willimsburg. You can google it at 1212 Winer Rd. Odenton Md. 21113.

Anyway it seemed somewhat suspecious. You never know if someone is staking out your studio for a robbery.

I waited 45 min and the car was still there. So I got a flashlight and walked out on my fronyt lawn pointint it to the ground by the car, they didn't move, then I got the liesence plate numbr "7BDC13" Maryland. I pointed the flashlight into the car at about 1:45 am, it was this brunett hott looking white girl with a black dude. She immeadiately started the car and pulled off without turning her head lights on.

Another car started at the same time across the street and soemone black dude yelled out something at me, I couldn't make out what he said.

Eaither they were staking my place out or it was som kind of drug deal waiting to happen, but that doesn't make any sense. Wht here, it's a stupid spot for that.

if anything happens to me, you have the liesence plat number. 7BDC13.

#111159 - 07/28/07 01:13 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
No time aligning? No melodyning? shit if you've got the tools, I say use 'em. Show what you can do. What are you afraid of? Your mission here, should you choose to accept it, is to make the best of the raw material downloaded possible. There are no rules. Shit everytime I put rules on the forum I get attacked for being some sort of Nazi. No, you run a studio, if I were your client, and I handed you these tracks, and said hey I just need you to make a killer mix of these recordings for me, I can't retrack them (insert your own story here, my band quit, my mother's in the hospital etc.) - would you say - well I can't do any time aligning or melodyning? Look whatever you do is all up to you here. There is no prize. The prize is showing what you can do. That said if you choose to do major surgery, fine. If you choose to simply eq, add reverb, delay etc and mix then so be it. The only rule is to upload an MP3 when done and let your commerades on the forum judge you. Then again, if you're too chicken to do it, then you will be known as a chicken. And be careful cuz Nick admits he eats chickens (and fish).

#111160 - 07/28/07 01:33 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Loc: LA, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Justin
No time aligning? No melodyning? shit if you've got the tools, I say use 'em. Show what you can do. What are you afraid of? Your mission here, should you choose to accept it, is to make the best of the raw material downloaded possible. There are no rules. Shit everytime I put rules on the forum I get attacked for being some sort of Nazi. No, you run a studio, if I were your client, and I handed you these tracks, and said hey I just need you to make a killer mix of these recordings for me, I can't retrack them (insert your own story here, my band quit, my mother's in the hospital etc.) - would you say - well I can't do any time aligning or melodyning? Look whatever you do is all up to you here. There is no prize. The prize is showing what you can do. That said if you choose to do major surgery, fine. If you choose to simply eq, add reverb, delay etc and mix then so be it. The only rule is to upload an MP3 when done and let your commerades on the forum judge you. Then again, if you're too chicken to do it, then you will be known as a chicken. And be careful cuz Nick admits he eats chickens (and fish).

Justin,

I think what Jeremy is saying here is that mixing doesn't typycally get into melodyne and vocal fixing. That's done in the production stage... not the mixing stage (typically)He wants this to be about mixing.... and That is what I thought this was going to be... even though I'm not taking part in it... I'm just backing Jeremy up a little.

Cheers,

AK

#111161 - 07/28/07 02:22 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Stevehwan]
sscannon Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Florida
 Originally Posted By: Stevehwan
Man I hate that word....

What word "mute"? It's "moot", damnit!! Point is moot, the point is definitely not mute!!! Moot, moot, moot!

Adj. 1. moot - of no legal significance (as having been previously decided)
jurisprudence, law - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
irrelevant - having no bearing on or connection with the subject at issue; "an irrelevant comment"; "irrelevant allegations"
2. moot - open to argument or debate; "that is a moot question"
arguable, debatable, disputable
controversial - marked by or capable of arousing controversy; "the issue of the death penalty is highly controversial"; "Rushdie's controversial book"; "a controversial decision on affirmative action"

Alright, got that out of my system.

I see Jeremy just chickened out. Before even mixing. I think if someone replaces drums, that should be noted, but straight mixes should be compared.

#111162 - 07/28/07 02:27 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Andrew K]
sscannon Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Florida
 Originally Posted By: Andrew K
Justin,

I think what Jeremy is saying here is that mixing doesn't typycally get into melodyne and vocal fixing.

Are you kidding me? That's what I get paid for!!!! Tightening up tracks, fixing pitch, blah, blah, blah. It is a part of a mixer's job these days. You know, fix problems? Make the artist sound good? Mix away!!!!

#111163 - 07/28/07 09:41 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: sscannon]
Stevehwan Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: WI
sscannon,
No, that wasn't the word, but I have gotten a lot of help from you in the past, your a stand up good guy, so I won't be getting into this with you. I was just venting.
Steve
www.stevecoxjingles.com

#111164 - 07/28/07 10:03 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Stevehwan]
Joe Lepore Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Minnesota
I agree with Jeremy. It sounds like what you really want to compare now is how well someone can polish someones turd. No offense Justin ... I haven't even listened to the tracks yet.
I downloaded them and haven't begun transferring to my HD24 yet. I live in a non PT environment. I believe it getting the best mix with the TALENT provided to me.. .not the best that computers have to offer.

As a live guy, I have seen the miracles that are attempted to be used to try to create talent (via things like a PT Venue) live, and it almost always fails misarably. I no longer trust ANY studio album - because of things like your proposing. Screw the work your presented with from the artist - make it sound good through tricks.

I will also drop the attempt since I don't have the world of "software enhanced artist" at my disposal. You want a real competition - try mixing it unheard - one pass (100+ degree tent optional). That's what I have to do every day.... not spend hours laboring over a 3 minute song in nice AC with optimal listening conditions)
(man .. I see the dander flying already \:\)

Page 3 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: