Page 28 of 29 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112263 - 09/21/07 10:10 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Knife]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
Thats pretty cool Knife.. The exercise reminds me of last week. A bunch of Pro/Am photographers that take their expensive DSL cameras and long lenses to the Reno Air Races all were given little box cameras to see what they could do.

Peace,

J

#112264 - 09/21/07 10:18 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Justin Offline

Site Admin
Founding Member

Loc: Portland, OR
E-gads the backing vocals don't sound good. Everything sounds kinda thin.

#112265 - 09/21/07 10:27 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Justin]
Knife Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New York
Thin, huh?... Everything?

Interesting. That's not a critique I would have expected.

I created the "harmonies" by taking the original vocals and running them through harmonization and pitch correction. That they sound bad IS a critique I would have expected.

Well, like I said, I know I'm no "mixer."

#112271 - 09/21/07 12:12 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Knife]
Andrew K Offline
Founding Member

Loc: LA, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Knife
Just for fun, here's a mix I did a few weeks ago.

Far From Home Cheap Knife Mix

Someone (I don't recall who) upthread was talking about doing stuff all on the cheap and that got me thinking. I set out to do the entire thing in my free time, at work, on my office desktop, with nothing but free-ware - just to see how far you could go in a crappy environment, with a cheap system and free tools.

The entire thing was done on a plain Dell office desktop PC with 726k of memory and onboard sound. Speakers were little desktop Harmon Kardons (not even a "gaming" system, with a subwoofer). The DAW I used was Cockos' "REAPER" (which I was so impressed with, I ended up sending them the $40 "registration fee"). All plugs were what comes with REAPER. No 3rd party plug-ins, at all.

This was all done in my spare time, between real work tasks, at my office. I imagine the total work put in is a couple of hours. I have never even monitored the mix on any other system.

I initially considered doing some major work to the arrangement and/or adding some instruments, as Jeff E and Brent did (spectacularly IMHO, I might add), since the tune lacks a bridge and kind of just goes on and on, but ultimately, I agree with some of the other folks' sentiments: that if this is really about the MIX, we shouldn't be adding new tracks and the like.

I did create some harmonies and I moved some of the guitars and drums around, but I even stopped doing that, eventually.

I honestly don't care about the "contest" aspect of this. I'm a really bad "mixer" and it was fun to just work on someone else's tracks for a bit, just as a diversion and an exercise.

Hi Knife,

Nice job. Your approach (doing it with free stuff on a laptop) is refreshing and has a lot of merit. It's interesting to see what can be pulled off in different environments. Reaper is definitely a software to "watch"... developing at an astounding rate.

Thanks for posting this. Yeah... things could sound better/different... but for this application... it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for sharing.

AK

#112281 - 09/22/07 02:38 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Andrew K]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
HOLY SHIT MAN,,, TWENTY TWO T H O S A N D VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W H A T-T H E-F U C K ?????

All because of lil ol me???

#112289 - 09/22/07 12:17 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
sscannon Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Florida
Get a ladder and get over yourself!

#112291 - 09/22/07 12:22 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: sscannon]
Jeff E Offline
Founding Member

Loc: Aptos, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: sscannon
Get a ladder and get over yourself!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... next he will say he created the world in 4 days..

J

#112304 - 09/22/07 10:02 PM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Jeff E]
Tardo Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
>The exercise reminds me of last week. A bunch of Pro/Am >photographers that take their expensive DSL cameras and long >lenses to the Reno Air Races all were given little box cameras to >see what they could do.

Perhaps something looking like flys flying through poles.

>Get a ladder and get over yourself!

ROTFL

#112307 - 09/23/07 12:26 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: Tardo]
jeremy hesford Offline
Founding Member

Loc: odenton md.
Sorry, there sin't a ladder tall enough. I thnik Justin sholud end this thread and post a new tracks for folks to mix, this thread is done.

#112352 - 09/25/07 07:08 AM Re: The Great Mix Competition: Jeremy vs. Nick vs. All the rest of us [Re: jeremy hesford]
Brent Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hey Knife... for what you worked with, getting this far with free {or almost} tools, is pretty impressive.
Swahl... this doesn't sound like a beginner. It's well balanced, clean sounding and you didn't go overboard in the effects dept. Vocal sounds a tad overly sibilant... and some popping P's. But still, nice job I'd say.

Page 28 of 29 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 >

Ads and Reviews

Justin's Product Reviews: